forty-nine | quidditch games and common rooms

hazel

Hazel was worried. That much was obvious to everyone. She and Annabeth remained seated, their knees hitting each other's. While the others yelled and cheered for the quidditch game, she comforted Annabeth as she stared at the ground. 

Harry had been reinstated as captain, but had opted out of the game, so Ron had to take over the open spot for the afternoon. No one blamed him. One day after he got back, and Hazel had never realized how quiet a person could be. Ginny tried to coax him into public as much as possible, but he just wouldn't go. Now he sat at the entrance to the Gryffindor locker rooms, his lips a thin line as he watched. 

Jason blocked a shot, again, and the crowd broke in chaos. Piper and Leo jumped together, screaming. Draco flew close by their pep squad, a wide smile on his face. As he got into position next to them, he said, "This is one time I wouldn't mind losing." He wanted to get back to research with Annabeth and Rachel. That much was obvious. On the other hand, he was good friends with most of the Gryffindor team now. The other Slytherins were trying to cheat their way out, but Draco held firm. He wouldn't allow it. 

Hazel smiled at him, then looked back to Annabeth. Percy hadn't left the Slytherin common room this morning, and according to Draco he'd never gone in there last night. He was catching up on sleep, but the Percy they all knew would never miss a chance to support his friends. Hazel hadn't seen him smile with the first time he and Annabeth's eyes met. He was a mess, and needed another shower, but he just wallowed. He wouldn't talk to them. Annabeth got very few words from him at dinner the night before. 

As for Luke, the son of Hermes kept to Hagrid's. No one at the school would recognize him, so he opted to stay there to train and read. Hazel had watched for a little. He could rival Percy with his swordsmanship, that much was obvious. The boy was good. 

Annabeth squeezed Hazel's hand. "He's fine, right?" 

Hazel didn't know what to tell her. Percy had been bent before, always smiling but never quite reaching his eyes. Now he was completely broken. Hazel wasn't sure he'd ever go back to the boy she'd known. She decided not to lie to Annabeth. "I don't know." 

"He won't talk, won't eat. Something else happened to him that Luke and Harry won't tell me." She pulled at her hair. 

Ginny scored. The lightest smile lit Harry's face. Hazel smiled at that. Even if Percy never came back to them, Harry and Luke seemed to be doing better. 

"When we were down there, he almost gave up." Annabeth's words startled Hazel, because not once had Percy ever seemed close to giving up. Hazel was quiet, so Annabeth continued. The crowd masked their conversation. "He was...something else. He tried to kill Misery with misery. He saved me from Nyx. I don't know how, he had me close my eyes..." Her voice was so small now, Hazel had to lean closer. "He tried to not come back. He almost drowned." 

Hazel sucked in a breath. "He's a son of Poseidon."

"He could do it. Controlling water isn't the only thing he can do." 

"What do you mean?" 

"He wanted to keep it a secret. He thinks it would make you guys think he's a monster, and I respect that, but it's not right to keep powers from your team." 

"What powers?" 

Annabeth put her head in her hands in despair. "I shouldn't tell you," she said, "he would be so mad..." 

Hazel had never heard of Percy getting too mad, especially not at Annabeth, but the blonde girl seemed certain. Emotions Hazel had never seen clouded her friend's eyes.