forty-two | lies and brotherhood

luke

Luke coughed up blood for the sixth time that day.

"You good?" Harry asked, his voice just as scratchy as Luke's was.

"Yeah," Luke croaked, "all good."

Percy was watching them from across the room, his face grim. He'd gotten quiet the past two days- at least Luke thought it'd been two days. Could have been two months. He wouldn't know the difference.

"We need to get out of here," Percy said. His voice sounded normal. Harry stared at him.

Luke stared at him. "Duh."

"No, I mean out of here. We're in Tartarus, that much is obvious, and we'll need to stay here. For this quest to finish, they'll need people on this side," Percy explained. "I'd rather us stay and complete it from this side than send others down when we're already here."

Luke nodded. "Good point."

Harry watched the exchange. Luke felt terrible for him. They'd spent their time completely explaining everything, Luke's possession, the war, both wars. Most of it was news to Luke, too. He liked hearing about all the things these kids he'd once considered family had accomplished. They'd gone through another war. They'd won. Of course they had, they were fearless and strong- especially with Percy by their sides.

The door creaked. Luke groaned. He still wasn't sure exactly why he was alive, but he would die again if it meant he never had to see Kelli again.

She poked her head into the room, her smile bright considering they were in hell. "Hello, my friends, and good morning!" The three boys mumbled back greetings. Her usual guide positioned herself at the door as Kelli sashayed into the room.

"What a wonderful day it is back in Scotland." She smirked. "I've been checking in almost every day. They've made quite some headway the past day."

Percy visibly tensed. Harry's hands tightened into a fist.

"What are you going to do?" Luke asked.

"Oh, nothing. It's what they'll do that's going to get them killed." She picked at her fingernails, smiling.

Percy sat straight up. "No."

"Yes," the empousa said. "I'm sure of it. And Annabeth and Hermione? It's like they were destined to find each other."

Luke tilted his head. Annabeth was intelligent, and he'd heard from Harry all about Hermione. They did seem like the two to be friends.

"Ron and Leo? Oh, please, just wait until Leo meets the twins! I bet the Stoll brothers would love them!" Kelli continued, waving her hands.

Harry pointed at her. "I swear, if you-"

She stopped him, "What? Spy anymore? Watch your girlfriend and Draco get all friendly?"

Harry stilled. Percy wheeled on her. "That's not true and you know it!"

"And who are you to tell me I'm lying? Do you really know them that well? Especially that Draco Malfoy?" Kelli scrunched up her nose. "Annabeth and Ethan are looking quite chummy recently."

Percy gave a dry chuckle. "That's where you're wrong. You can't even come up with a decent lie!"

"Prove it then!" She yelled at him.

Percy leaned back against the wall. "Not my story to tell. Another day, maybe. Get out of here, Kelli, go do something useful for your boss instead of tormenting Harry."