forty-five | empousas and escapees

percy

Luke and Harry were hardly awake. 

Harry's head kept dropping, only for him to snap back awake and try to keep watch. Luke couldn't stay awake, no matter how hard he tried. So Percy took the watch. 

He also didn't know why they had a watch, considering nothing was going to get to them in this cage, but he also didn't think it'd hurt. Just in case Kelli tried anything...Percy was ready for her, though. 

The last time Kelli opened the door, Percy had better bearings than he did in the ocean. He knew exactly which veins carried Styx water, exactly which hills led to the giants- reforming, of course- and where to find Damasen, Bob, and the little skeleton cat he'd left behind in his last visit. 

Percy had perfect bearings down here, in the pit, in hell, and it scared him. 

But he also had control of everything flowing in his enemies veins. He had control of the water that grew their food. They had no idea what they were facing, and he was about to show them. 

The other two boys were leaning against the wall, heads propped up on each other, breathing raggedly. Percy frowned at them. Here were two boys, both of which he thought of as brother, both of which he was going to get out of here- but first he needed a way to help them survive out there. 

Luke had been here before, Percy knew, but he'd been accompanied by a Titan. Kronos won't be around this time, at least that's what Percy was hoping. 

"Hey, guys," Percy called out. His throat felt normal, his voice returned to it's normal tone. "Sit up, they're coming." And Percy knew he wasn't lying. He could feel their steps vibrating, their blood coursing. 

As if on cue, Kelli pushed the door open, followed by a dracaenae guard. The empousa smiled at the three boys. "You're lucky I don't have to okay on devouring your souls," she said. Her eyes stayed on Harry. "It would make me very happy."

Percy wasn't sure if it was the way she eyed his little brother, or the way the guard began advancing on them, her spear extended, that made him act. 

He threw his hands up, and both enemies flew back into the wall. Luke and Harry jumped, surprised, and hit their heads on the ceiling. Percy wasn't so quick to stand. He stayed sitting, legs crossed, and the dracaenae guard exploded. Percy didn't appreciate the feeling of pride, but it came anyway. 

Kelli stood, perplexed, and Percy moved on to her. She dropped to the floor, withering. Still seated, and without moving his hands, Percy turned her to face him. "Who is in charge?" 

She glared at him. "You've killed me three times, son of Poseidon. What's once more? I'll always reform quickly. Quick enough to find you again." 

Percy squeezed, like a hand around her heart. Kelli didn't say anything, just looked on with pride in her eyes. "Look what you've become, Percy Jackson," she said, "a son of the pit." 

She didn't say another word, and though the last breaths of the empousa frightened him, Percy had to keep moving.

"Let's go." He ushered the two boys into the hallway, looking back and forth. Luke and Harry stood, not knowing which way to go, but Percy immediately went left. He knew these grounds. He knew these tunnels. He wasn't sure how, but he guided the others through the halls. 

"Percy." Luke grabbed his arm. "How do you know where you're going?" 

"I don't know," Percy said through gritted teeth. "I don't know what's happening." He continued on before Harry could say anything. He knew he wouldn't be able to explain it, and the look in Harry's eyes would make him want to.