fourteen | new scars and startles

harry

Harry had stuffed his face at dinner, and he just couldn't will himself to move. He was crashed on a plush chair in front of the fire, Hermione sitting on the floor at his feet revising one of Ron's essays.

It was late, and he knew he needed to get to bed; tryouts were tomorrow, and he knew he'd need all the sleep he could get- at least fifty second years are determined to try out. 

Hermione huffed and dipped her quill in the ink at her feet. "Where is Ronald? I swear, that boy-"

"Right here, 'mione, don't fuss." Ron flopped onto the chair next to Harry.

Harry nudged Hermione with his foot. She shot him a 'what-do-you-need-Potter-I'm-working' look, and he vaguely pointed to Ron. She narrowed her eyes at him and shook her head. Harry had been trying to get the two together since fourth year, but somehow he couldn't get Ron to see he liked Hermione as more than a friend.

"Christmas is coming up," Ron said.

"Ronald," Hermione said, "it's September."

Ron squinted at her. "You're the only one that calls me Ronald."

"That's not true." Harry snickered. "Your mother calls you Ronald."

"And the twins." Hermione smiled. "When they're trying to annoy you."

Ron threw his hands in the air. "Both reasons to not call me Ronald!"

Harry smiled. "Oh, sure."

Hermione handed Ron his essay back. "All good...Ronald."

He rolled his eyes at her smile.

Hermione stood. "I need to go. We're all organizing our bunks today, so I'll leave you two to it." She picked up her quill and ink bottle.

As she stood, her hand set right on top of Ron's. He stiffened. She pulled it away quickly, but Ron stared at his hands like he was surprised they were still there.

Harry smiled to himself and went back to watching the flames crack and nursing his overstuffed stomach. He looked straight up at the ceiling. He heard Ron stand and leave, and footsteps approaching, but he didn't focus back on the room.

Someone cleared their throat right in front of him. His head snapped down and he came face to face with Ginny Weasley.

Harry yelped and flopped off the chair. Ginny snorted and looked down at him with her hands on her hips.

"You alright?" She asked.

Harry's ears went red. "You just startled me."

"And you flopped all the way onto the floor?"

He smiled. "I've heard I'm quite dramatic."

She rolled her eyes. "I never would have guessed."

Harry figured she wasn't talking about what has just happened. She had a sour look on her face.

"You alright?" He asked. He pulled himself up and stood next to her.

"Yeah, of course." She didn't seem alright. She turned away to leave.

Harry grabbed her wrist. "No, you're not."

She whipped around to face him again. "Well maybe if-" She stopped cold.

Harry raised his eyebrows. "Maybe if...what?"

She took a deep breath and groaned. "I don't know, Potter, maybe if you didn't act so dense all the time!"