The New Lance

"Not only did you hurt me on the outside, you hurt me on the inside too."

.

Lance had been injured on the mission, but didn't say anything to his team. He limped out of his lion and straightened up when they all  crowded around him with angry glares. His usual happy face gone, and replaced with a face of pain.

A massive shard of glass had embedded itself into Lance's leg, and it hurt like hell.

"Lance, it's been 3 hours! Where were you?!" Shiro yelled, getting angry. 

Lance stuttered out, "O-On t-the mission I-I go-" he was cut off by Shiro's frustrated yelling.

"You never think! Why don't you ever just try to think of the universe instead of yourself for once!?" Shiro snapped again, successfully scaring the crap out of the blue paladin.

Lance trembled slightly as Shiro intimidated him, "I-I'm-"

Shiro didn't know what came over him, and in a split second, all Lance felt was pain on the side of his face.

There was a long silence, before Lance's hand trailed up to hold his aching face. The look of shock presented on Shiro's face showed he didn't mean to do it.. but it happened anyways.

Lance backed up, limping and there and then they noticed the blood seeping out of his leg. Lance began to hyperventilate, and he turned around and ran into his room. Behind him, he could hear the saddened cries of regret coming from Shiro, "Lance, please! I didn't mean it-"

It was too late. Lance was already hiding in his room, tending to his injury.

It had been a day since the entire incident, and Lance finally stepped out of his room, his happy face gone. He walked into the breakfast room, still as sad, and leg bandaged and wrapped up.

"Lance.." Shiro noticed the bruise on Lance's face. He must've hit him with his right hand..

Lance didn't say anything and grabbed a plate of food goo, his face still glum, and turned to go back into his room. Not a sound came out of his mouth, and that's how it was for a long time.

It's been 3 months since the incident, and everything seemed to change.

The first month, the "team" was acting more harsher (if possible) towards the blue boy. It was the second month where everything went wrong. The second month where they lost him.

Starting at the end of the second month, Lance no longer chattered around happily, instead only speaking when spoken to in very quiet, 'Yes ma'am.' or even quieter, 'Yes sir.' This was how it was going to be from now on, and not only did Lance know this, but everyone in the castle.

When addressing his teammates, he kept it short with regular yes and no's, but just quieter. He was the Lance they wanted him to be. He trained more, talked less, flirted less, just spoke less over all. He did everything less than he usually did.

It was such a shame that someone with a personality as wonderful as Lance McClain was ruined and ripped apart by the people he thought were his family.

Not only was it ruining Lance, but the guilt was eating away at his space "family". But it didn't matter. This is what they asked for.

They asked, they received. And it was good.

Right?

Lance was training in the training room, on Level 9. He clicked his tongue angrily. Shiro and Keith were probably on level 15. (Keith was actually on level 4 almost 6 and Shiro was on 8 to almost moving on to 10). He pushed himself harder each day, losing more calories than he could gain, and was getting weaker mentally, and soon physically.

The blue boy wasn't sure how he was managing, but he was.

In a fit of rage, Lance brought his bayard down hard onto the bot trying to attack him from behind, before shooting the one from the front and sides.

After a few more bots, he had finished Level 9. He scowled again and took a gulp of water, running his hands through his hair and looked at the training area with cold eyes.

Sweat dripped from Lance's face as he'd been in there for for 6 hours, but he refused to leave. Why should he? How else would he become the new Lance? The Lance everyone wanted. The Lance the universe needed.

He wiped his neck and some of his face off with a towel, and picked up his bayard once again.

"Start Level 10!"

Hunk was going to go train, since he barely practices, and to get better at combat. When he opened the door to the room, Lance was in there. He looked so graceful, flipping, jumping, everything.

He also noticed that Lance had started to become a bit more muscular, yet skinnier. He winced slightly when a bot rammed its gun against Lance's stomach, knocking all the air out of him. The blue boy barely flinched and kicked it away. After, Lance kneeled down, clutching his stomach, gasping for air. While Lance was recovering from that, a bot was about to hit him, but Lance couldn't see that.

"End training sequence!" Hunk yelled quickly before the bot could touch Lance.

Lance glanced up before scowling slightly, "I had that." He said sharply.

If Lance was the first one to speak, his tone would be as sharp as a knife, hollow, or just blank. It's been driving the team insane just not hearing Lance being his old self.

When Hunk didn't respond, Lance flickered his ice cold eyes up to meet Hunk's soft brown ones. Hunk flinched slightly when he realized how empty Lance's eyes were, their gorgeous shine nowhere to be seen, and instead replaced with a icy, yet beautiful gaze. Even when he wasn't happy, Lance was still gorgeous.

"You would've gotten hurt." Hunk said after staring at Lance for awhile.

Lance nodded, "That happens." He said almost sarcastically, "I'm leaving." He added before picking up his things, and walked out, still sweating hard and out of breath.

The blue paladin thought the journey from the training room to his own room was odd. Keith refused to make eye contact with him, Pidge frowned when she looked into his eyes, Shiro blanched slightly, Allura visibly winced, and Coran made a short noise of sadness. Lance shrugged them all off mentally, and continued walking.

To the other Paladins, Lance no longer slouched when walking and kept his chin down. He walked with a straight back, chin held up high, and a faint aura of power surrounded him. His eyes were different, cold and icy, yet still beautiful and gorgeous. He'd gotten more muscular, yet is slowly getting more skinny (which Lance would change by eating more), and he didn't speak to them, only ever making eye contact.

His usual charming smirk replaced with a scowl, his friendly expression replaced with the opposite, everything personality wise about the Lance they all learnt to love, was gone.

The Paladins and the two Alteans didn't need to say anything to each other, because they knew they were the reason he was like this. And it hurt. It really hurt knowing that they were the reason they lost the heart of their team.

Before Lance was like this, they didn't dare tell him that they all loved him (platonically for the most part, cough Keith), and instead became harsh and rough towards him.

Now, they would do anything. Anything to have the opportunity again to tell him that they really, truly cared.

All they were doing was waiting for that moment.

Again, comment for part 2! Thanks for reading this one, it took me awhile and was shorter since I'm working on another shot while doing this, oop.

So if you want another part, comment 💙