Shut Up

"Shut up? Okay."

.

Lance was so tired. So very tired. Not tired of living, not yet at least, but tired of his team constantly just telling him to be quiet, or shut up. Sometimes he wasn't saying anything at all!

"Shut up, Lance."

Lance glared at the floor as Shiro told him to shut up, even if he hadn't been saying anything. He didn't say anything in response, and tried to recall the last time he spoke. Was it 2 weeks ago or 3?

Yeah. That's how long he's been silent. He didn't say anything for 3 weeks.

Lance sighed heavily, ignoring Pidge's glare. He was frustrated with himself and everything.

He suddenly stood up and walked to his room, head hung low, slouched, and gaze fixed on his feet.

It's been 4 more weeks and it doesn't stop. It doesn't stop, and it will never stop. He was so sick and so tired.

He went to go find Coran, to talk to him about getting his vocal chords removed. Lance kind of figured this was the right thing to do, after all, he didn't need them.

Lance stood in front of Coran awkwardly, only the two of them in the room. Lance cleared his throat a bit, opening his mouth to speak, "Cor-an-" His voice cracked, "I-," he cleared his throat, "I need you to do me a favor." He croaked out, voice sounding off.

Coran winced at the sound of his voice, not hearing it for 7 weeks. "My boy, what happened to you?" He asked solemnly, gesturing to Lance's exhausted figure.

He was slouching, his eyes so full with defeat, sadness, and just negativity in general. Deep eye bags, completing his exhausted look.

It could be because of his excessive training, and lack of sleep. Maybe because of the fact that he hasn't been caring for himself too.

"Please, get rid of my vocal chords.." he pleaded sadly. Coran flinched hard, "W-What?!" He almost shrieked in shock.

Lance looked so desperate for this. He really wanted his vocal chords removed.

"W-Why?!"

"Because I'm tired. Tired of being told to shut up, tired of everyone picking on me for doing things I'm not doing, tired of being a punching bag-"

Coran sighed sadly, "I won't do it."

"Why?!" Lance yelped sadly, "I cant take it anymore!"

Coran only shook his head, "No." he said sadly, "You don't want this."

"..." lance inhaled deeply before storming out.

On his way to his room, Keith bumped into him. Lance started at him, "Sorry."

"Oh shut up." Keith scoffed angrily and stormed away, leaving Lance to stand there alone.

It's been 2 weeks since Lance had asked Coran for a "favor", and Coran has been keeping a close eye on Lance. His heart truly hurt whenever they would tell him to shut up when he wasn't even doing anything.

Lance rose his gaze to meet Coran's, eyes pleading him to do it. Coran only pursed his lips before shaking his head no.

The Paladins have to go visit a planet of aliens who were skilled in the medical field. Even though they were skilled medics, they were rudeish, greedy beings who always wanted in return.

"We want something valuable in return for our alliance." The king smirked evilly, "Of course, if you offer something very, very valuable to at least one of you, we will eternally be allies. If you give something not as significant, then you need to give us something every month." The team, save for Lance looked each other worriedly, before Allura spoke up.

"Uh, can we have a few weeks to think about it?" She asked them, kindly.

The king frowned slightly, but nodded nonetheless. "We will be waiting." He said, with a shrug.

Lance rose his gaze to the king, his sad orbs meeting shocked, confused ones.

First day of "thinking" about it, the team discussed about the things they could offer. Whether it being Keith's knife, Pidge's laptop, Shiro's arm, Allura's crown, all of Coran's "valuables", aka the things he got from the space mall, and Hunk's baking supplies.

Lance chuckled a bit, before he was shushed harshly. A frustrated sigh escaped his lips before he walked out of the room, ignoring the looks of irritation from his team.

Fourth day now, and Lance has had enough. He stormed out of the ship when no one was looking, and straight to the Alien's castle. He spoke to the guards, telling them he was giving the king the Team's offering.

He walked up the stairs slowly, processing what he was about to do. He was going to get rid of his voice.

Lance trembled hard, clearing his throat as he looked straight into the King's eyes, "You can take my vocal chords. That's valuable right? To me and the team," he said quietly, "Besides, I don't need them anyways."

The King looked shocked for a moment before regaining composure, "I accept this." He said calmly, "But I must ask why."

"Because all they ever say or do to me nowadays is tell me to shut up. I don't remember the last time I've had a proper conversation with my team, except for Coran." Lance said with a straight face, confident this is what he wanted- no, needed. "I'm just tired of it. If I get rid of my vocal chords, they don't need to tell me to shut up." He said sadly, "And they don't need to pick on me anymore, well they can't because they can't use the talking excuse anymore."

The king winced slightly, not expecting the harsh treatment this blue paladin has received.

"Are.. are you sure?" The king asked, feeling unsure now he knew the reason. It clicked that the blue paladin was doing this without his team's knowledge. "You might regret this."

Lance scoffed, "Then so be it. I deserve every consequence I get from this. Plus, I learned sign language in high school." He added as if it made the situation better.

The king gulped guiltily, and nodded, "Okay, follow me paladin."

It worked. He couldn't speak anymore. The king blanched when he saw the overjoyed expression on Lance's face when he realized he couldn't speak anymore. He looked so happy, not worn out at all, and it looked like he couldn't be happier. It was honestly so devastating.

Lance shook the King's hand happily before he excited the castle.

The team was shocked when they saw Lance happily sitting down at breakfast, before everyone. He was sitting down, smiling widely, and swinging his feet around. They didn't comment, but they found it strange how he didn't speak.

Allura walked into the room last, looking glum. She looked straight at Lance, and he simply stared back, knowing full well why she was staring at him the way she was. Worst part was that he seemed like it was the greatest thing that happened to him.

She started to tremble as she teared up, the paper in her hand shaking tremendously. Lance simply stared as she stepped closer and embraced his in a hug. She sobbed into his shoulder, apologizing repeatedly.

Lance didn't say anything but pat her head slowly, no words leaving his lips.

The team was further confused by this, when they noticed the scar on Lance's neck. Lance's lips parted, but nothing came out, and that's when it clicked.

That's why Allura was so sad.

That's why Lance had been so quiet.

And that's why he had been so happy.

He grinned at them, despite Keith shouting at him, and calling him an idiot.

"Lance, you idiot! Why did you do that?!" Keith yelled, preparing to lunge at the giddy boy.

Lance only smiled in response and continued to comfort Allura quietly, not like he could do it loudly anyways.

The team as individuals have never felt so much guilt in their life, and they knew it was their fault. But it was too late now, and they can't change it anymore.

They're forced to live with their guilt.