Chapter 13

The next morning, the camp counsler, Martha, left them with an overly energetic counsler-in-training called George Kingston.

"We're going kayaking," he said. "Now, kayaking is an art, you understand me? I will tolerate no nonsense, I will take no sass. You will have reverence for this supreme sport--"

"Okay, take it easy, George," said Martha, patting his shoulder.

"Right. Sorry. So basically, you put the paddles in the water and you row. Any questions?"

Thomas shared an incredulous look with James.

"Is this guy for real?" he whispered.

"No, he appears to be a hologram sent by the Illuminati to brainwash us," his best friend whispered back.

"Very astute, James. At first, I thought he was an MK ultra clone, but now that you mention it, he appears to be slightly translucent," Thomas suppressed a laugh and James snickered.

"What are you two whispering about?" George demanded.

"The fact that you appear to be a hologram from the Illuminati," Thomas replied shamelessly.

Angelica laughed into her hand.

Ignoring his comment, George continued, "Well, since you two obviously know how to kayak well enough not to pay attention, I'll have you demonstrate to the class."

Before Thomas could snark back, James tugged him into the kayak.

"Right. So, how do we go about this?" Thomas examined a paddle.

"I don't know," James picked up his oars. "What he said. Just put the paddles in the water and row."

"Okay," Thomas attempted to do so. They floundered for a while with the oars while the class laughed at them. George looked extremely smug, but what he didn't know was that Thomas didn't care. This was the oldest trick in the teachers' book, and it had been used on him countless times, especially when he was in the company of James or Aaron.

When George was satisfied with their humiliation, he spoke again, "Time to split up the dream team, I think. Thomas, you're with Hercules. James, you're with French guy over there."

"I go by Lafayette," Laf corrected.

"Whatever. Get in the kayak."

As Laf did what he was told, Thomas found himself with a really hyped Hercules Mulligan in his kayak.

"Dude, that was awesome."

Thomas raised his eyebrows. "I just attempted to kayak like a complete moron, and you found it awesome?"

"You pissed off George, and it was great."

Thomas allowed himself to smile at his enemy's friend. "You seem like fun."

"Trust me, I am."

As George continued to pair the campers (Aaron with Charles Lee, Alex with John, Angelica with Eliza, Peggy with some guy called Samuel Seabury, etc.), Thomas noticed Hercules growing ever more restless.

"Do you ever do completely crazy things just for the hell of it?"

"Not really," said Thomas, who was beginning to worry that he wasn't done being the class's source of entertainment.

"Well, you should. It's fun."

Thomas wasn't sure how to respond. "Okay."

About thirty seconds of silence later, Hercules asked, "Hey, man, can you swim?"

Thomas raised an eyebrow. "Yes. Why do I get the feeling that those two questions are connected?"

"Why do I get a feeling that you're right?"

Thomas accepted the inevitable. "Okay, so what's the plan?"

"I don't have one. Should we flip over the kayak?"

The prospect was oddly appealing, and it would make George angry, so...

"Sure."

Hercules showed him how to row, and they paddled into the center of the lake.

"Now?" asked Thomas.

"Now," Hercules confirmed.

They dove into the lake, the cold water jarring their skin. Thomas curled up into a ball, trying to retain as much warmth as he could, before he remembered that they had a job to do. Flipping over the kayak with a triumphant cry, Thomas wondered when he had ever felt so free. He heard clapping in the distance.

"Well done, mon ami," Laf and James applauded enthusiastically. They jumped in, following their example. A whoop could be heard a few feet away as Peggy joined them.

"Peggy, you simply cannot--" the Seabury guy argued feebly.

"YEAH, PEGSTER!" yelled John, cutting him off.

He and Alex were next to join the party. Thomas grinned. George Kingston was going to have a hard time dealing with this army of students.

"Since when is getting into trouble your thing?" asked James, playfully splashing him.

"Since Hercules Mulligan convinced me that 'doing crazy things for the hell of it' is a good idea," Thomas shot back.

James laughed. "So, are we starting a rebellion or something? Should we get Aaron in on this?"

"Oh, yes. Hey, Aaron!" he yelled to his friend. "Get over here!"

"I'm coming, you awesome nerds!" Aaron left behind a scowling Charles Lee in favor of his friends.

Thomas heard a sweet laugh from a kayak behind him. He turned to see Angelica and Eliza giggling at the scene before them. Eliza was gazing affectionately at Peggy and Alex, but Angelica...Angelica was looking at him.

Thomas swam over to his crush. "Are you coming?"

She knelt down so that they were face to face. "You look adorable right now."

"Yeah? Well, you always look adorable," he said smoothly.

She rolled her eyes, but he could see her blush.

"Can you two, like, not flirt for two seconds?" came Alex's voice.

That was a bit rich, considering the fact that he was currently holding Eliza's hand.

"Coming from you?" Thomas pointed out slyly.

Alex fearlessly kissed Eliza's hand like an old-fashioned gentleman. "Yes."

Angelica exchanged a look with Eliza, "Let's go?"

Eliza nodded, and they both jumped in.

"It looks like the entire marshmallow squad is here," said James appreciatively.

"The Marshmallow Squad," Hercules repeated. "I like that. I'm going to call us that from now on."

Before anyone could reply, George's battle cry sounded from the shore. He began swimming to them.

"OH MY ODIN, HE'S COMING! SWIM! SWIM FOR THE DICKENS!" Peggy yelled.