Chapter 20

John walked into the party with his crew, feeling like a boss in black shorts and a Deathly Hallows t-shirt. The air was thick with the scent of classy pizza and fruity perfume. The moon was just rising in the sky, and Starships was playing. Several people danced. John looked for Peggy, and found her congratulating Theodosia.

"What happened?" he asked.

"She finally broke up with Jacques," said Peggy, pulling him onto the dance floor.

After dancing like maniacs to twelve songs, filling up on pizza and sugary junk food, then dancing to twelve more songs, John and Peggy were exhausted.

"Best party ever!" John whooped.

Peggy grinned and leaned back against a tree.

There was a flash in the distance.

"Firefly," John whispered urgently.

Peggy whipped around. Ten seconds later, it appeared again, a little further away.

"Let's follow it," Peggy suggested.

They ran into the night, guided by sparse flashes of light. Before they knew it, they were stumbling through the undergrowth of the forest, far away from the others, but they didn't care. There was a hecking firefly. You don't see those every day.

"Okay," said John, jogging to a stop.

Peggy didn't have time to stop herself. She went charging into him, a giggling mess.

"Pegs, I think we're lost," John told her, helping her onto her feet.

"You don't say," she swayed from another fit of giddy laughter, and John, also laughing, could barely keep her on her feet.

"Should we be worried?" asked Peggy once she had calmed down, looking around.

John intertwined his fingers with hers. "I'm not worried as long as I'm with you."

They embraced, John tangling his fingers in her hair. This felt right. He and Peggy fit together like puzzle pieces.

Another firefly appeared in front of them.

"Should we follow it?" he asked.

"Let's do it," Peggy took his hand, and they ran.

Two minutes later, the firefly had led them exactly back to the party.