Chapter 14

Half an hour later, the Marshmallow Squad found themselves shivering, beads of water falling from the ends of their hair. George Kingston drew himself up importantly, reveling in the fact that he had the power to stop them from properly drying off. He seemed to enjoy holding it over their heads that he had a towel draped around his shoulders while they huddled together for warmth. He took a long time to admonish them, and when he did, he spoke very slowly and deliberately.

"I'm not happy kids. Not. Happy," he began.

Samuel Seabury jumped up. "Sir, these students do not speak for me."

George patted his head. "Good job, Sammy."

"It's not our fault that those knuckleheads messed it up for us," some jerk called James Reynolds snapped.

Thomas could not resist the urge to be sassy. He leaned towards James Madison and whispered, "We'll call him TOJ, for 'The Other James'"

"Ask me why I'm unhappy, Hercules," George singled out Thomas's new friend.

"Why are you unhappy, sir?" Hercules asked in a monotone.

"Why did that sound eerily similar to The Incredibles?" asked Peggy.

"Because you're a nerd," said Charles Lee moodily.

Thomas had observed that Charles Lee had three moods: Grumpy, apathetic, and grumpily apathetic.

Peggy did not appear fazed by Charles's snark, but John opened his mouth to defend her until George spoke again.

"Can I have your attention?"

"You can have my fist in your face!" said Alex randomly.

"That was a reference, wasn't it?" asked Thomas.

"Harry Potter Puppet Pals," James Madison (not TOJ) identified knowingly.

"Enough!" George shouted. "You ten are now my personal servants for the rest of the day!"

"I'm pretty sure that's not legal," Thomas protested.

"Well, too bad. Bow to me, peasants!"

"George!" came Martha's furious voice. "What did I tell you about terrorizing the students?"

"But-but they-" he stammered.

"Jumped into the lake, I know. It was hilarious," she smiled despite herself.

"They broke the rules," said George sulkily.

"They broke your rules. Do I really need to remind you that you're not the one in charge here?" Martha scolded. "Look, I don't think it's a good idea to leave you with these kids. You can take a break for the rest of the day. OTHER GEORGE!"

A man Martha's age came running out of the counselor's cabin. "Don't tell me another kid snuck their phone into camp!"

Thomas exchanged guilty looks with James and Aaron. Literally every kid broke the no-phone rule.

"No, Mini-George is going on another power trip. I'm going to need you to look after these kiddos while I set up the archery activity."

Thomas snorted.

"Mini-George," he whispered to his friends.

"Micro George," Aaron whispered back.

"Pint Sized George," James fought to keep a straight face and ultimately failed.

"I'm getting too old for this," the older George rolled his eyes. "George, you need to calm the hell down."

As the younger George skulked off, Martha patted the older one's shoulder sympathetically. "Kids, this is Principal Washington, my husband. He helps out with the camp when I'm busy and George is...on break."

"Alright, kids. We're going to forage for food now. And be warned: You might want to pay attention. What you find is your lunch."

Chatter of protest went out among the students. Thomas didn't exactly mind eating plants, so he shrugged as he went into his cabin to change clothes.

After being properly dried and clothed, he and the Marshmallow Squad followed after their new principal into the woods, already hungry and eager to find lunch.