Chapter 16

Alex found himself arguing with Thomas again. It was frustrating how all their conversations ended in furious debate. They both fought tooth and nail to defend their beliefs, making their arguments excruciatingly fierce when they occurred. Their differing political views didn't help.

The conversation had been thoughtful, even reasonable, at first, but it slowly devolved into this:

"Thomas, you're like this salad. I never expected much from you, but you disappoint me anyway," Alex snapped, brandishing a forkful of winter cress.

Before he could snap right back, Angelica laid her hand over Thomas's, effectively shutting him up. So Thomas got Angelica. But Alex still felt like he was winning the argument, and that was all that mattered. At least, until Eliza used the same tactic as Angelica on him. His nerve endings buzzed from the physical contact. He suddenly understood why Thomas had dropped the argument. All Alex could think was, OMG, she touched me! Does she like me? OMG!

"Please stop arguing," said Eliza firmly.

Alex wasn't sure what he said next. Probably a strangled, "Okay."

"Someone needs to give Eliza an award for being able to shut Alex up," Hercules commented.

Eliza, modest cinnamon roll that she was, just waved a dismissive hand. "You're exaggerating."

"Everyone who thinks Hercules is exaggerating, please raise your hand," Peggy commanded.

Only Eliza raised her hand.

"Yeah, Eliza should definitely be in the Guinness World Records," said Aaron, and Alex privately agreed.

"She could get a Nobel Peace Prize, even," Theodosia added, and they all laughed.

"This is the craziest trip," John noted. "We flipped over kayaks, we somehow fell into a group of like fourteen friends, and we finally found someone who Alex listens to."

"Here's to our shenanigans," James raised a glass of orange juice.

"And may there be many more," Adrienne added from where she sat, Laf's arm casually draped around her shoulders.

They toasted to their adventures in summer camp. Alex knew this was one of the moments he would always treasure. The breeze gently brushing past, the smiling faces of his friends, and sweet Eliza's hand, still holding his, still encouraging the wild beating in his chest.