Chapter 17

After archery, Martha led the students to a makeshift stage surrounded by speakers.

"Who likes karaoke?" she asked, with a self-contented smile as whoops went out among the crowd. She knew her surprise had been appreciated.

"Ooh, boy," Peggy rubbed her hands together excitedly.

"As long as Peggy's here, we're in for a treat," said Angelica affectionately.

"I have to drive into town to pick up some supplies for the party," Martha notified them. "And George—my George—will be taking a nap. I'm afraid that means George Kingston will be looking after you."

Everyone began to complain at once.

"I thought she said he was on break for the rest of the day," Elizabeth Sanders pointed out.

"That power hungry loser just wants to get revenge on us," Alex predicted.

"He's going to get back at us as soon as she leaves," John agreed.

"Don't worry, guys. He won't bother you. He'll be watching from a distance," Martha assured them. "So...who wants to sing first?"

She held a microphone out to the crowd expectantly. People shuffled nervously, unsure of how to begin. Peggy seized her chance and boldly strode to the front.

"It would be my pleasure," she said, taking the microphone with a flourish.

Martha looked almost as excited as if she herself were a student. "Thank you, Peggy. You're going to be lit. Is lit the right word? Would you describe this as lit?"

"It's very lit," Peggy told her, and suppressed a giggle. Martha looked delighted.

As Martha turned to go, Peggy walked over to the man controlling the music.

"I'd like to do 'Hanging on the Telephone'," she said quietly, so that no one would hear. She wanted this to be a surprise.

"You got it," the man pulled up the backing track on his computer.

Peggy sashayed onto center stage and nodded her head as the first beats played. She had been waiting for a while to sing this song in karaoke. She had worked out a whole dance routine and everything, practicing in her room. Ignoring the screen with the lyrics (she knew these by heart), Peggy began to sing.

"I'm in the phone booth, it's the one across the hall..."

John flashed her a thumbs-up, a priceless look of joy on his face. She knew he loved this song.

"If you don't answer, I'll just ring it off the wall. I know he's there, but I just had to call. Don't leave me hanging on the telephone..."

Elizabeth Sanders and Hercules started dancing, others gradually joining them. Peggy grinned. The song, despite most people not having heard it before, was turning into quite a success.

"Don't leave me hanging on the telephone..."

Peggy danced crazily, swaying her hips to the rhythm. As she got more and more into the music, the crowd seemed to fall away.

"I heard your mother, now she's going out the door. Did she go to work or just go the store? All those things she said, I told you to ignore. Oh, why can't we talk again? Oh, why can't we talk again? Oh, why can't we talk again? Don't leave me hanging on the telephone..." she slid the ponytail binder out of her hair, letting it go loose. Some people screamed their approval, wild as if this were an actual concert. "Don't leave me hanging on the telephone! It's good to hear your voice, you know it's been so long..."