Chapter 1

Noah's POV

Wincing, I glanced up at Jones. With pleading eyes trailing back down towards Bethany's tear-streaked face I asked him.

Silent drops fell on my blood-stained shirt and I was helpless to stop their descent. Appearing more composed than most in her situation, Bethany hugged my chest in hopeless desperation, circling the delicate fingers of her open palm across my heart. She murmured affections as its rhythm sputtered in my chest.

I didn't have much time.

As the clock ran down, Jones' callused hand reached out to close around my own. With a firm squeeze, he broke through my stare of labored breathing and called me back to him. A slight nod and I knew he would take care of her. Moving in front of Cassidy's blade had saved his son, Robert's life. Jones would never forget my debt.

Making sure I understood him correctly, Jones trailed his eyes towards my sister and nodded once more so I could die in peace. I closed my eyes and opened them again. With my last bit of strength, I mouthed the words, "Thank you" to him before whispering "I love you, Bethany" to my sister.

I passed knowing that no matter what, she would be protected. With his own last dying breath if need be, Jones would keep Bethany safe now that I no longer could. In our world, that meant something.