Chapter 8

Chase's POV

Off-kilter from my pending date with Bethany, and at the discovery of her bodyguard, I exited the theatre absently after class. Not paying attention, I found no mercy at the hands of Miles who quickly pulled me into the nearest alcove before I could react.

A grunt of air escaped my lips and I flinched as Miles' fist connected with the locker beside my left ear. From reflex only I had reacted to his incoming punch and was grateful for my instincts to move out of the way in time.

When Miles cursed and grabbed for his hand, a few broken knuckles already swelling up, I shoved him away from me and watched him hit the linoleum floor with a dark thud. When I pulled my leg back to kick him, Sergio entered the area. He lifted Miles off the floor holding his arm out to ward me off. Ryder arrived from behind and stood on my right. "What the fuck is your problem?" I yelled.

Jumping up into my face Miles extended his middle finger at me. "Oh, no, my friend!" he sneered. "The question is what's your problem, Chase?"

I looked at Ryder and he fidgeted with the initials hanging off his chain. Turning back towards Miles, I took a step forward daring him to come at me.

"Saw that little chit you were talking to earlier, Chase," Miles teased. "Wouldn't the club like to know about her? Nice piece of ass like that? I'm sure some of our members would love a taste of her. Better be careful who you piss off, Daddy's boy. Never know what could happen."

Pure rage coursed through me. I'm not sure how I didn't kill him on the spot. Seeing my temper rise, Ryder braced himself to jump into whatever fray ensued. Ryder was initiated and so was Miles. If it came to it, they could take it to one another and things would work out. I, however, was not in the same position. I was still an outsider. Touching Miles would be deadly for me. Consequently, anyone within my periphery was also in danger. That included Bethany.

It was for her only that I didn't grab Miles by the throat and kill him. I could do it. Physically I was stronger, and mentally I was smarter. But, he had the current advantage and he knew it. I played the game or I'd be dead.

Swallowing my pride for Bethany's sake I stayed silent, fuming inside.

Standing up, Miles dusted himself off with a laugh. "Nice to see you can learn, Chase baby," he taunted, patting me on the cheek. Growling like a wild animal, I shook him from me. There was only so much mockery I would put up with.

"Got her in my sights, pretty boy," Miles warned me with pleasure. "Better toe the line or else someone might get hurt."