Chapter 14

Trigger warning: Reader discretion is advised; sexual assault content to follow.

Chase's POV

"Who is George?" I asked Bethany as we strolled towards the nearby greenery.

Looking over her shoulder she frowned and waved him off, missing a beat in her stride. "Just a friend. Don't worry about him." Evidently annoying the guy, he flicked his cigarette into the street and turned in a huff. Letting out a breath I didn't know she'd been holding, Bethany relaxed while I observed her with unfettered curiosity.

"Seems more than just a friend," I commented delicately, wanting her to tell me who this goon was. His jacket had been non-descript. Not a single thing could be gained from his clothing. Nothing appeared amiss, but I knew there was a lot more to his story than I was being told. Remembering the guy who'd been at the theatre yesterday, I pondered how I might broach the subject with her.

Before I could ask anything, however, I felt a sharp pain in my side and fell to the left in a heap. Opening my eyes after hitting the pavement I was surprised to find my body covered with Sergio's. Shoving him off with fists and feet, my anger exploded as I forced him aside to see where Bethany was. In shock and as I scrambled to stand, I found myself face-to-face with Miles and a knife held at her throat.

"Should have known better, Chase," he sniggered. "I did warn you."

Miles lowered the knife cutting Bethany's blouse from breastbone to belly button, exposing her chest for all the world to see. Her small brazier provided little cover as she had on a nude-shaded garment typically worn underneath thin leotard costumes for performances. Crying out, and desperate to cover herself, Bethany only inflamed the situation with her fear. Miles fed off it like a pig to his slop. "Oooh, got ourselves an innocent little dove here, do we? Anyone ever do this to you, baby?"

As he moved his hand to her right breast, kneading it mercilessly, I jumped forward only to be held back by the stronghold restraint of a member of the club I didn't know very well. I'd seen him before, but had never spoken to him. As an uninitiated member, I was beneath him. Always loyal to Miles' family, he wouldn't associate with mine once my father had been killed.

"Please stop," Bethany cried. "I've never...I don't..." she faltered, and I cringed. A guy like Miles would only be egged on by her innocence. She had said the worst thing possible to this scum. Dragging her backwards, Miles made for the nearest alley and I knew what he was about.

Breaking free from his friend, I thrusted forward and tackled Miles head-on, knocking his knife sideways and into my ribs. I didn't know it yet, but this was the second stabbing I'd received in this incident. The earlier pain I felt before was the first. Combined they were both working against me. I didn't care, though. I had to save Bethany.

Try as I might to ignore the overwhelming lethargy, however, my energy faltered. I punched and kicked as hard as I could but it wasn't enough. Miles kept coming at me. With the blood loss, my vision was starting to go. I was in trouble, and the only thing I could hear were Bethany's pleading cries and approaching footsteps in the background before I blacked out.