Chapter 3

Chase's POV

"How do you figure?" I asked, furious at my advisor. "I'm a straight "A" student and I've taken all the required classes. I haven't failed a single fu—fricking thing at this shit-forsaken school," I reasoned, losing my temper the longer I went on. "I've done everything you people have asked me to do!" I yelled finally. "I deserve this stupid degree!"

I could see Peabody's hands shaking. He knew who I was, or rather, who my peers were. I wasn't one of them yet, but he knew damn well what pissing off my kind could mean for his health and safety.

"Please, Mr. Fairmont," he groped. "We can work this out. You still have the spring semester left in the school year. If we just put the theatre course into your open timeslot, you'll be fine to graduate."

His hands hovered over the dog-eared paperwork as if it were a ticking time bomb ready to detonate. "You just have to sign this add form and you'll be all-"

"Theatre?!" I roared standing up, the metal chain hanging from my jeans banging on the chair back. I blinked at the man as if he'd grown two heads. "Are you out of your mind? Do I look like the kind of guy who prances around a stage?"

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, I heard Peabody whisper a prayer under his breath.

"You're damn right you need help, but He's not here in this room with us so you better figure this shit out, and quick.

I'm not taking some pansy-ass theatre class."

"He's everywhere," Peabody mumbled more to himself than to me. "Thank goodness."

Before I could contradict him Peabody braced his hands against the desk and stood up to face me man-to-man. "Look. I know it's not what you want, but there are no other choices here. It's either take this class and walk in May, or don't and wait until December to graduate. And you'll still have to take another class next fall to walk then.

Please, Mr. Fairmont," he implored sitting back down. "Just take this one last elective and you can get out of here."

Staring at him, I did my best to contain my fury. "Give me the form, Peabody," I said, gritting my teeth. Scratching a signature on the proper place, I ripped one of the triplicate forms from Peabody's trembling hands before turning to leave. "Thanks for nothing," I murmured, slamming the door behind me. Walking down the hall I imagined Peabody sitting back in his desk chair with a relieved sigh.

One less problem for him to deal with.

One hell of a class for me to look forward to.

Shit.