Chapter 12

Bethany's POV

"Really, Jones," I laughed. "I'll be fine. It's just ice cream."

Jones smiled at me adoringly...and like a small child who had forgotten to take her medicine. "You know better, Bethany."

I stomped my foot. "Come on! When will it end? I leave for the Ballet in only a few weeks. Are you going to follow me everywhere I go out east, too?"

"Sweetheart," Jones responded kindly. "I made a promise. You know I can't break it."

Frowning, my heart tearing a little bit at the memory of my brother, I stopped my tantrum. "I'm sorry. I know you're looking out for me. And I love you for it. I do! But, sometimes...sometimes I just want to forget. You know what I mean?"

"Believe me, Baby, I understand," Jones answered softly. "Sometimes I want to forget what's happened in the past as well. Noah was like a son to me, Bethany. He saved my son's life that day. That's a thing I will never forget or turn my back on. Even if it means enduring your wrath, my dear. I will protect you always. Even when you're dancing on the Academy's stage, I will find a way to watch over you."

Feeling poorly about my indignant behavior, I stepped up on tippy toes and gave Jones a hug before he left me alone to finish dressing. I knew he meant well. As his God-daughter, I was in serious danger at all times. An easy target, I could be used as a pawn against him if ever threatened. Not something he or I wanted to risk.

I just prayed Jones and his men would stay in the background on my date this afternoon. How could I ever tell Chase, a hot guy with no ties to this world (he was taking a theatre class for goodness sakes!), that the head of a motorcycle club, not just the local chapter, but the entire nationwide organization, was my bodyguard?

I shuddered at the thought of having to explain. "No, definitely not first date subject material," I said to myself as I applied a light-scented oil to my wrist and behind my ears.