Chapter 6

Chase's POV

"For those of you with no interest in acting, please come forward. I have a few slots open for stage hands," Professor Simon called out.

Looking up from my phone, I jumped from my seat. Thank goodness!

"It's not pretty, but as a stage hand you'll work behind the scenes ensuring that those on the stage have what they need for the show to be a success. Stage hands will help with lighting, electronics, music, props, etc."

As an electrician student, lighting and electronics would be perfect for me. Maybe this class wouldn't be so bad after all. Signing the form, I was relieved to find that the semester would be a lot more tolerable than I originally thought this morning.

"Since it's only the first day, I thought we'd take a trip down to the auditorium and have a look around; get ourselves familiar with the layout of the stage."

Following the crowd of students in front of me, and Professor Simon, I walked absently down the hall to the auditorium steps. As we approached the doors, I could hear loud music pouring from within.

When we entered, a silent hush fell upon our group. Looking up to see what had caused the abrupt end to the usual gibber-jabbering I found myself at a loss for words.

There in front of me was an angel. Covered in white lace and pink satin, she flew across the stage gracefully, never making a sound, and in complete harmony with the music. Lost as she was with the steps, she didn't even notice our arrival.

Her arms were like water; fluid and seamless. Her legs were long, defined and full of strength, carrying her weight effortlessly across the floorboards. Her feet were tiny and she was on top of them, spinning and gliding from one part of the room to the other. Never before had I stood in the presence of something so beautiful.

Suddenly, however, a grotesque sound ripped across our consciousness and the angel flopped down into an alarmed position. "What the?!?" I heard her gasp as she turned to see our entering forms. "Oh, I'm sorry," she called out to us. "I must have gone overtime. Please, come in. I'll gather myself and my things and be out of your way as quick as I can."

Professor Simon smiled. "No worries, Bethany," he called out. "We're just here to see the auditorium's theatre space. No practices are scheduled for today. You're good."

"Oh," Bethany responded meekly.

Bethany.

My angel's name was Bethany.

"Ok, well, still," she said trailing off out of breath. "I should be going. Nice to see you, Mr. Simon."

And just like that she was here one moment and gone the next.

I blinked and she had disappeared.

Realizing that signing up for theatre class might be the best thing that ever happened to me, I smiled.

Who knew?