Chapter 14: Two devils

What's more, since psychopaths are sadists, he relishes seeing her suffer from a combination of jealousy, wounded pride and helpless love. ~Abuse Sanctuary

The man in the mask slipped out of the room immediately. Liana thought she recognized his scent but she couldn't place it. She felt like she'd met the man before and even talked to him. Who was he? She tried to remember where she'd seen those dark eyes but her memory failed her.

Hellen regained a consciousness and looked around the room, wide-eyed. Liana felt sad for her but she was glad that they were now two hostages. Hellen was a fighter. Besides, it'd be easier to escape if they planned well.

"Hi Hellen," RK said, standing behind the chair she was seated on. He put his hands on her shoulders. "Sad that I won't be throwing you a welcome party. Have you met Liana, your new babysitter? I see you have but it's rather unfortunate that you won't get to talk to her. You know a little too much, don't you? Such a sneaky girl."

He moved towards Liana and pulled out a pistol from his pocket.

"To the kitchen," he said. "Now!"

Liana trudged to the kitchen as he followed, pointing a gun at the back of her head. "Don't try your tricks again. I might be tempted to kill that girl."

In the kitchen, he sat on a chair and instructed her to prepare pasta. As she cooked, he watched her every move.

"Put some food in a plate," he said after they'd finished eating together."You have to feed your friend."

Back in the room that Liana knew too well, Hellen was crying.

"It's okay," Liana knelt in front of her. "It's all going to be okay. We'll get out of this alive."

"Shut up," RK said. "Liana, you're are going to remove that cloth from her mouth. Hellen, don't dare scream or I'll shoot your brains out and feed your body to the animals."

Hellen nodded and Liana pulled the cloth and let it fall to her neck.

"Ahhhhhhhhh!" Hellen screamed so loud it startled Liana, making her cover her ears.

"What's wrong with you?" Liana asked.

"I knew you couldn't shoot me you bastard," Hellen snarled at RK who had lowered his gun. "I'm so used to empty threats so don't try them with me, you spineless moron. You think you can silence me? Well, think again because-"

She didn't complete her sentence because RK punched her on the head so hard that she lost consciousness. Her limp head fell to her right shoulder.

"You didn't have to hit her. What if she dies?"

"I don't care. Besides, the worst she'll have is a concussion and hopefully memory loss. Stay here and watch her. I have to make a call."

Liana waited until she couldn't here footsteps in the corridor before going after RK. She tiptoed until she reached RK's bedroom door which was ajar.

"She screamed and I had to hit her," RK was saying, phone held against his right ear. He was seated on the bed. "It's good that this house is isolated."

He listened to the person on the other side and nodded. "That's a good idea. A basement would be perfect. How's Gina getting on. Do you think she'll crack under the pressure and talk?"

He was quiet for a few seconds. "I noticed it too. She has a very strong personality it'll be very hard for her to give in. Don't you think we'll be in danger if she talks? You need to get really close to her."

This is not helpful, Liana thought. She needed information on where they were. Realising that RK wasn't going to talk about it, she decided to go back and help Hellen.

"Stop!"

Liana froze and turned.

"Were you listening to my conversation?" RK hugged her from behind. He then put his right hand around her neck. "What's wrong with you, Liana? Why do you want death so much? I'm trying so hard to keep you and your friend alive but you don't seem to appreciate that? What do you want? Me to kill you?"

He moved his hand to her flat belly and caressed it. She grimaced.

"What do you think? That listening to my conversations will help you escape. I can even tell you where we are now and you won't do a thing about it. Who will you tell? Gina? She's too busy trying to protect herself so I doubt she'll help you. Besides, we're moving soon. Get used to it."

"I'm tired of all this," Liana said quietly. She let the tears roll freely. "You can let me leave and I'll help you fight against Gina. I'll be on your side. Just think about it with your boss. I heard you telling him that he needs to get close to Gina. Gina is not a person who lets people in easily but I'm already close to her. What's the use of having me locked up when I can help you from the outside?"

"Now that sounds like a good idea," RK said, detaching himself from her. He leaned against the wall. "The only problem is you've loved Gina for so long. I know you think you hate her because she hasn't done much to get out of here but deep down you still care about her. You can't break a sisterly bond like yours in a week. What if you get soft?"

"Then you kidnap me again."

"You know what? I'll speak to Ned. We could make a deal."

"You said that a deal with the devil is not a deal but a death sentence."

"But that doesn't matter if you're both devils."

"I'm not like you," Liana remarked.

"You're about to be worse. I have never betrayed a friend."

Liana stared at him, wondering if she was doing the right thing.