Chapter 25: Bail hearing

"I have talked to the crown prosecutor about your bail plan and a consent release proposal has been drafted," Gina's duty counsel Casey Rainer told her. "You'll be taken to court at ten. Since you have given me all the information I need, I have to go and do final preparations for the case. Do not speak in court unless I approve. Leave everything to me."

"Thank you so much," Gina said. "I don't know what I'd have done without you."

The counsel put her hands over Gina's which were on the table. "No problem. I'm just doing my job. Trust me, I'm going to get out of this place. I hope a member of your family comes to act as a surety. I informed them but they didn't seem to like the idea."

"Did you talk to Dylan?"

"I did and he's going to be there. You're so lucky to have such a boyfriend."

Gina nodded as Casey stood up, carrying an envelope of documents. "See you later." Casey said, marching out.

"See you," Gina said, standing up as a guard came to take her back to the cell. If things went well, she would be out today. This time she wasn't going to play around. She was going to find whoever was holding Hellen and blackmailing Liana. She was going to get them face justice even if it was the last thing she did.

By the time she got to the court, Casey was waiting outside. Dylan and her mother were also there conversing. Gina was glad that a family member had showed up. Like they say, a mother's love knows no bounds. Detective Barnes and two policemen were present, sitting inside a police car.

"Let's go inside," Casey said, taking the lead. They found Liana and her parents inside.

They had been in the room a few minutes when the judge arrived and everyone stood up.

The session started with Casey giving an opening statement and questioning the prime witness Liana during which she discredited most of her claims. Gina was also questioned.

"The accused needs to be released because of the following reasons," Casey said. "First of all, she's a student and needs to continue with her studies. Secondly, she has been examined by a psychologist and it's clear she needs help and so has to start therapy as soon as possible. She does not have a criminal record so I believe she's not a threat to society. She also expresses desire to live as a normal citizen. For these reasons, miss Breya deserves bail. The sureties, Dylan Ineroya and Louise Breya will make sure she follows bail conditions."

"Will the sureties testify now, please?" The judge asked.

"Here are their documents," Casey took some papers in an envelope to the clerk who handed them over to the judge. The judge looked through them.

"My name is Louise Breya and the accused is my daughter. I know she's of good character though like everyone else, she sometimes makes mistakes. I'm sure that she did not order the kidnapping of her best friend. My daughter needs to continue with her studies and if she's granted bail, I'll make sure she obeys the conditions."

"Will she live with you?" The judge asked.

"No. Unfortunately, my husband is not very open minded and cares more about public opinion than his own daughter's life. Gina will stay with her boyfriend, Dylan Ineroya."

"Do you agree to that, Mr Ineroya?"

"Yes," Dylan said, standing up. "I know Gina very and I trust her. I'll take care of her and make she comes to court when summoned."

"You reported your keys missing and the police think she took them," the judge said. "What do you think about that?"

"I don't believe she would do something like that and the police do not have sufficient evidence to back up that accusation."

"After hearing the proposal and reviewing the case, I have made my decision. Miss Gina Breya has been granted bail and will have it pay a fine of _____."

After the judge left, Gina hugged Casey and crossed over to hug Dylan and her mother. Both Gina and Louise Breya were crying tears of joy.

Gina went back to Casey. "Thank you so much. I'm going home!"

"No problem," Casey said. "I work for moments like this."

"I'm sorry you can't come home with me," her mother said when they were outside the courtroom. "I know Dylan will take care of you."

"It's alright, mom." Gina said, winking at her mother. "Staying at my boyf-"

Her mother put a finger on her lips. "Now don't do anything crazy. I don't know what your father would do to you if you got pregnant."

"Mom!"

Casey laughed. Looking at Gina, she said. "I have some work to do. Can I talk to you in private?"

"Okay," Gina and Casey moved away from her mother and Dylan.

"If what you've told me is true, you need to be very careful," Casey said, giving Gina an envelope. "We're dealing with very dangerous people and I thought you'd be safer for you to be in the cell but you insisted. Please obey all these conditions that I've printed for you. Be safe."

"I will," Gina said. "Dylan will protect me."

"Are you sure you can trust him?" Casey asked, glancing at Dylan.

"Of course. Why do you ask?"

"I'm not sure if you should trust him."

"Why?"

"Be very careful," Casey hugged Gina. "I have to go now."

Gina frowned. Casey's words had made her confused yet alert. She looked around before going to her sureties.

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the late update. I hope you liked it. Please vote if you did. Thanks for reading.

Love, CG.