Chapter 23: Cellmate

Gina was staring at the floor, trying to figure out how to help Liana save Hellen when she heard a someone yelling. She looked up and saw a young woman with disheveled hair that looked like a messy bird's nest being dragged by a female cop. Another cop opened the door and pushed her in. She barely had any energy as she collapsed onto the tiny bed, almost crushing Gina's legs.

"I need something to eat," she yelled but the cops ignored her and strode away.

"Hey," Gina said, trying to act like she was happy to share the tiny cell.

"Hi," the girl said, sliding down to the floor. "You're the girl I saw in the newspaper. You wanted to murder your best friend so you had her kidnapped. It's good she escaped. And here I was, thinking this town was peaceful."

"You don't know what you're talking about so I suggest you shut up."

"Or what?" She stood up. "Will you kill me like you wanted to kill a girl who treated you like her own sister?"

"I'm not a murderer but you, on the other hand, look like someone who'd slice her husband's jugular using a razor blade."

The woman gasped and sat on the floor. "Only a murderer would think of such an idea! But anyway, nothing has been proved so I won't judge you. I wish I could get myself a husband, though. I'm tired of this life."

"This life? What do you mean?"

"You seem to be a good person. Everyone judges me because of cheap makeup and trashy outfits. I'm a lady of the night."

"Okay. How did the police get you?"

"I went to a different street because I was looking for this guy that treated me so badly last night. I'm new to town and was trying to ask around since he drugged me during the drive to and from his place. Unfortunately, I landed on an undercover female cop and immediately got arrested. That guy I was looking for is messed up and did some horrible things to me. He really paid well but I don't want to stay one more day in this shanty town. I just wanted to confront him before leaving."

"Don't you think it's safer if you just leave?" Gina asked but the woman had already dozed off, her head on the bed. She shook her awake and instructed her to climb up to the top bunk.

In the morning Gina was awakened by the girl climbing down. Gina squinted and rubbed her eyes, then opened them. "Morning?"

"You!" Rosie pointed a finger at Gina. "It was you."

"What now?"

"When he went to get water, I opened a book that was on the table and there were like ten photos of you. There was one taken of you getting into a car with a cop. Oh my goodness!"

She remembered when she saw Rory near the station. Rory lived in the basement at his parents house. Could he be the one? "Will you please describe him to me? I need to know. What did the house look like?"

"He is-"

"Hey you!" A cop appeared outside the cell and opened it. "Someone's here to take you, Rosie."

"Who?" Rosie asked. "None of my friends know I'm here."

"Leonard Blake. Says he's your cousin."

"What a pleasant surprise!" Rosie beamed. "What are you waiting for? Let me out now."

"Rosie, first tell me about that guy."

"Don't worry about it, dear." Rosie said as the cuffs on her wrists were unlocked. "You're very beautiful. It's probably a secret admirer or something."

Almost as soon as Rosie had left, Dylan came to see her. Why they would allow visitors as early as seven thirty, she didn't know.

"What's up, Gina? I don't believe what they say about you. Why is Lia blaming you for all those things? Tell me. You can trust me, I swear I won't say a thing to anyone."

"Lia made those accusations because they're true. I'm a terrible person so please leave."

"Are you kidding? I love and want you to be my girlfriend. I also know that you wouldn't do something like that to your best friend. Even if those accusations were true, I would still love you because I know you must have had a good reason to do so. Tell me the truth. What have I done to deserve these lies?"

"Nothing," she said, maintaining a blank expression. "You wouldn't understand. Besides, I have no feelings for you so please go away."

She hoped to believe in her lies.

"I know you like me but you're denying it for some reason. I'll leave just to make you happy." He opened his bag and produced a book which he gave Gina. She admired the cover and read at the title, The Four Secrets . She was not a fan of books but she'd give it a try because it was a mystery. She loved mystery movies.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"I love you," he said, wiping his tears. He turned to leave. How could she let him leave when she was desperate for his company? He was the only person who believed her innocence and that was exactly the kind of person she needed. She couldn't let him go.

"Dylan," she called.

He turned. "Yes."

"I love you too," she said, truthfully. A smile broke out and his face and he strode back. It had been long since something good had happened to her.

A/N: Hey! I know you can't wait to find out who this psycho is but everything will be revealed soon. Thanks for being patient and reading. I love you all.

Ps. Sorry for the bad chapter. The next chapter will be better, I promise.