Chapter 16: Transferred

“…it seems as if the psychopath’s devaluation of you is so filled with bitterness, hatred and sometimes even violence that it can’t be fully explained in terms of him tiring of you and moving on to other promising victims." -Psychopathy Awareness

Her eyes opened the moment she regained consciousness. She looked around the dingy room and noticed it's low ceiling and small windows that had been barred with metallic bars. There were two candles providing light and there was a tiny door. Liana could tell they'd been transferred to a basement. Hellen was still asleep, tied to another chair. Her mind was hazy and she didn't remember anything since the time RK gave her some water. They'd both been drugged.

She'd watched news about kidnappings but never in her life had she thought about what she'd do as a victim of one. What did one do when all hope of rescue was gone? When all you had was a dank room to stare at? It was a nightmare that could kill you slowly. When was it going to be over? Would they ever let her go or was death drawing nearer? Liana found herself crying. It was hard not to cry when you had no control over your life.

The door opened and RK came in, followed by the masked man. He was wearing black shorts and a white t-shirt while RK wore trousers and a clean shirt.

The man slapped Hellen and she woke up immediately. He could've just called her name, why did he have to be so cruel? RK walked out with a frown on his face. I couldn't tell he wasn't happy with his boss because of the unnecessary violence.

The man bent in front of Hellen and stared at her. She stared back in a way that showed she recognized him. Liana was really curious to know who he was that she decided she'd rip off his mask the moment I got the chance. His right hand touched Hellen's thigh and she flinched. It went further up and dragged Hellen's cotton knickers down her thighs. Liana turned her head and closed her eyes. She could hear the muffled sound of Hellen's cries as he raped her. She wished she could do something to save her friend from the pain.

Liana heard footsteps coming towards her and she held her breath, waiting for the inevitable. She felt a hand on her face and grimaced, opening her eyes. He was standing in front of her stark naked with what seemed like a smile on his face. She looked away, her heart pounding against her chest. He stood there for a while and walked away, without saying a word. Maybe he wasn't interested in her which was good. He picked up his shorts and left the room.

Liana looked at Hellen who was sobbing uncontrollably. She wanted to reach out and tell her to be strong, that It'd be okay but it was impossible. She had no idea how long they'd have to live in those deplorable conditions. Hellen avoided eye contact the whole morning and Liana figured she felt embarrassed. She wanted to tell her that it was nothing to be embarrassed of and that It'd happened to her too.

RK came in the afternoon with a package containing snacks, making Liana's stomach growl. He was holding his gun as he untied Liana's hand. He removed the gag and let it fall to her neck.

"You're going to eat in turns," he said, unwrapping a sandwich and handing it to Liana. "You first."

"Please let her eat first," Liana said, referring to Hellen who hadn't eaten any food since her kidnap. "I can wait."

"You're in no position to tell me what to do," RK pointed his gun at Liana. "Eat now."

She started stuffing food into her mouth as fast as possible because she knew how hungry Hellen was probably feeling.

"What did your boss say about the deal I proposed?" Liana asked, her mouth full.

"What do you think?" RK asked, glaring at her. "Stop asking me questions and finish your food. I have things to do because unlike you I actually have a life out there."

Liana couldn't contain her laughter. "I had more of a life than you'll ever have. One day, you'll get thrown in jail."

"Only if I kill you. At least I'll be in jail repenting but you'll be rotting in hell forever. How is that?"

"Shut up. If anyone deserves to be in hell, it's you and your sick boss. I know you'll get what you deserve in the end, you despicable moron."

He slapped her across the face. "You talk way too much, Liana Tran. You know I'm starting to like your friend Gina more than you. That reminds me, I haven't called her in a while. She has such a nice voice."

Liana didn't want to think about Gina so she changed the subject. "Tie me up already and give Hellen something to eat."

"Don't worry, I'll do that as soon as I finish talking to Gina. Besides, trying to order me around only makes things worse. I was going to give your friend food but because of you, she'll now have to starve for a few more minutes."

With that, he waltzed out of the room with a wide grin.

"I'm sorry, Hellen. I didn't mean for things to go like that."