Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen:

Playing truth or dare within this group always results in one of two scenarios: one, it's revealed that someone has a huge crush on someone else, or two, a fight breaks out that could potentially last for days on end.

I can't be quite sure how this particular game is going to end.

"What's the point in playing truth or dare at noon? Because if someone refuses to tell the truth or do the dare, it's not like you can make them take a shot because it's way too early to drink," Charlie argues back, and Jasmine pouts at him.

"Boo you," she says.

"I guess that there's just no backing out, then. So unless you have a better idea, we're going to play," she continues, crossing her arms.

Charlie glares at her for a moment and I'm starting to wonder if there's a particular reason why she volunteered this game so quickly.

They don't break eye contact until Bryce clears his throat, reaching behind me to nudge Charlie's shoulder.

"The game is obviously stupid as shit but it's better than sitting around doing nothing all afternoon," Bryce says, defending Jasmine.

She grins at him, giving Charlie the middle finger before settling back into the couch, leaning a little closer into Daniel's shoulder.

Jasmine scans over the group, then asking, "Is everybody in?"

Even though I'd rather not be pressured into making out with somebody or something stupid like that, I go along with the rest of the group.

"Great," she smiles, linking her arm around behind Daniel's so that her hand is resting on his thigh.

I see a fire in Charlie's eyes and I'm certain that I was right; he's incredibly jealous of Daniel and Jasmine's blossoming relationship.

"So, how about the new guy goes first?" Jordan suggests, and everybody collectively looks towards Bryce.

Bryce quirks his head towards Jordan in response, giving him a lopsided smirk. "Truth or dare?" Jordan asks him, and Bryce momentarily thinks before answering.

"Let's start with a truth, shall we?"

"How many people have you slept with?" Mateo asks before Jordan can think of a question.

Glad to see that we're off to a great, family-friendly start.

Bryce doesn't seem at all fazed by the question. as if he was expecting something along these lines.

He thinks for a moment, staring up out of the corner of his eye as if he's mentally tallying something up.

"I'm actually a virgin. Saving myself for marriage and all that shit," he says, and everyone blinks at him.

I easily recognize the blatant lie, and Bryce can't contain his grin for any longer. The group catches on and collectively bursts into laughter, and I'm glad that the tension in the room has been eased a fair bit.

"Thirty-nine that I can remember the names of. There's way more but I can't remember them because I was too drunk," he finally replies honestly, and I feel my jaw drop open.

He reaches for my chin, using the tip of his finger to shut my mouth again.

"You're going to let flies in, Blossom," he teasingly scolds, and I gulp hard.

That's a lot of people he's been with for only being seventeen and still in high school. Maybe actually doing it changes a person's perspective, but I guess that's why I can't say for sure.