Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four:

Lexi's POV

I've been waiting all afternoon to hear from Bryce again, but he hasn't called me back.

I cut off another piece of the turkey on my plate, deciding that I should at least wait until a little later, not sure what his plans are for dinner.

I know that I'm getting obsessive over it, but I can't avoid the fleeting thoughts that maybe something is wrong.

Today has been great, and I've loved having the day to spend with my family. My parents and uncle have been in the kitchen working on dinner all day since after we had opened presents, leaving Charlie and I to entertain the twins all day.

Apart from the phone call incident earlier on, Addison and Adriana have actually been pretty nice.

Addison apologized for stealing my phone, and I didn't hold it against her. We spent the morning and afternoon watching classic Christmas movies and eating junk food, and though I'm still not thrilled with the twins, they're beginning to grow on me.

"Hey Lex, can you pass me the ketchup?" my brother asks me, and I nod to him, handing the bottle over. I immediately go back into my little bubble of thoughts, and I find myself biting my lip.

"Is everything all right?" he asks me, this time far quieter, and I nod at him, shaking off the fog in my mind.

He doesn't seem to buy it as he leans a little closer, then whispering, "Does it have something to do with Bryce?"

I should have realized that he can read me too well, meaning that there's no way I could get this past him. Nonetheless, I shake my head, avoiding eye contact.

This makes him laugh, and he gives my arm a squeeze grinning.

"I still can't wait for the wedding!" he teases, and unfortunately his words were a little too loud as the twins, who are sitting right across from us, seem to catch on to our conversation.

"What wedding?" Adriana asks, tilting her head to the side.

Her tone sounds genuine but I can't help but to bury my face in my heads well my brother laughs like an idiot from beside me.

To add to the fire, Uncle Mike then asks, "Someone's getting married?"

My parents hear this, and I elbow Charlie in the ribs to show my annoyance.

"Wait, Dad, did you finally find someone?" Addison asks, and my dad spits out his wine back into his glass.

My mom gives him a disapproving glance, but leans her head against his shoulder when he reaches for her hand. He gives her cheek a kiss and she blushes, pulling her face away from him.

"No, Addy. I did not," my uncle answers, shooting daggers at my brother.

He shoots Uncle Mike a sheepish smile, before turning to me, Charlie, Addison, and Adriana.

"No one is getting married anytime soon," my dad sighs, and I tune out the rest of the conversation, taking another bite of mashed potatoes.

"I'm gonna call him later," I tell Charlie, and he gives me a knowing smile, taking a sip of his soda.

"Of course you will," he says back. "No matter what, you always go running back to him, huh? He could probably kill someone and you'd still love him."

"I don't love him," I state, not quite sure who I'm trying to convince; myself or my brother.

Because the more I think about it, the more I realize how deep my feelings for him run.