The End Will Come

Larry had gone off to the library in search of any information he could get on about the tablet after a rather 'joyous' evening with 'Nanny McPhee' as he and Nathan so elegantly referred him as. The night guard was beginning to worry of his young companion's health however with his constant worrying. Night after night he'd remain awake, looking up anything he could to sort all of this out. Teddy, Sacagawea, Jedediah, Octavius all of them had become like his family. Neither of them could bear the thought of anything happening to them. "Good luck."

 Nathan had told him over the phone, clearing his throat a few times A sigh could be heard on the other end. "Just get some rest kid: I don't want you getting insomnia...we'll figure this out I promise."

  Larry's words were full of determination and hope that relaxed Nathan perhaps just a bit. When they ended their call though, he carried on for the third time that night looking up information on the Tablet. Clicking and typing away for hours upon hours, nearly yanking his hair out of his roots ready to give up he discovered one link he had found.

 A groan escaped his lips realizing it was the same, damn thing he researched just seconds ago. The tablet of King Ahkmenrah, forged together by his father King Merenkahre as a gift for his son. Throughout legend, it's been said to hold mystical powers...Merenkahre....

 Blinking rapidly, the young man peered closer at his father's name before typing it in the search engine. Surely something had to pop up.

  Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  After doing his own research, Larry had run into Cecil and the other two former night guards Reginald and Gus he found himself in his car leaning back against the seat dialing Nathan's number to tell him what he had found out. His eye twitched just a bit at Nathan's clearly worn out tone, knowing he had disobeyed his order of resting.

  "Nate? Hey, did you find anything about Ahk or the tablet?" "Same old stuff I'm afraid Larry. But I did find some rather interesting info on Ahkmenrah's parents and where they are."

"Yeah so did I: You'll never guess who I had a conversation with."

  "Who?"

 "An old 'friend' of ours...Cecil Fredericks."

 "You're shitting me!" Nathan exclaimed, evident disdain in his voice. "He's the one who told you where Ahkmenrah's parents are?"

 "You got it,"

 Larry sighed, giving a shake of his head. "Cecil mentioned about when Ahkmenrah and his parents were dug up, the locals warned him and his father that whoever disturbs the tomb, the end will come."

  'The end? You mean like 2012 end of the world stuff?"

  "No. They meant the end of the magic..." He whispered, licking his suddenly dried lips at those dreaded words.

 "We have to get Ahkmenrah and his tablet to England." A sarcastic laugh sounded from the other end. "

 "Oh yeah: You really think 'Nanny McPhee' is going to go for something like that? Especially all the Hell brought on last night? He'll think we're loons."

 "You know as well as I do we can't just sit idly by. We have to get something done here. If not..." They remained in silence for some seconds. Nathan knew. He knew what would happen if they didn't go to England. Time was not on their side this time.

 "Okay...okay. There's no chance in talking to McPhee now though. Our shift starts in a few minutes. I'm already at the museum. When night falls, I'll talk to Ahk about it."

 "Alright. I'll meet you there."

 Their conversation had ended.

 When Larry gazed at himself in the rearview mirror, he looked so...old. Had he always looked that way before? He ran a hand through his slightly greying hair, cringing mentally at the very thought. Shaking his head to snap out of it, he starts the car and moves along the surprisingly desolate street.

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

 The sun began to set as Nathan waited with patience inside the main lobby. Chin resting on his arms, a novella he started to read but eventually grew bored of it on the side.

 A migraine was beginning to form, pounding against the left side of his head when a familiar warmth spread throughout the museum and the young man found himself staring up at a concerned Teddy with Dexter perched on his shoulder, Sacagawea and Ahkmenrah.

  "Nathan...what's the matter?" Teddy had asked in a low voice. He gave a shake of his head, biting the inside of his cheek standing up to talk properly with them. Unsure of how to give them all the horrid news.

 "Everything's the matter," Nathan muttered, running a hand through his hair.

 "Ahk...can I have a word with you?"

 Ahkmenrah didn't like this. He could see how tired, stressed and pale Nathan looked at what he was about to say. All through their walk through his exhibit, they wore wordless up until they passed his guards and were now in his tomb. Placing a warm hand on Nathan's shoulder, the Pharaoh gives it a gentle squeeze of comfort.

  "Tell me what is troubling you." He whispered. There was a brief hesitation. Nathan, glancing from the tablet then back at him.

 "Larry did some more research on your tablet....he had gone to see Cecil: He told Larry, that, during your excavation when they took your tablet some of the locals warned him and his father 'The end will come'....the magic's going to end."

  Ahkmenrah was speechless as he watched the younger male before him do whatever he could to not break before him, yet the minute he pulls him into a heart soothing embrace does Nathan finally break. Letting all of his emotions out. Stroking his lower back with his free hand. "We won't let this happen. We won't allow it to happen."

  He whispered, wiping away Nathan's tears with his thumb. He soon pulls away, taking some slow, shaken breaths. "S-Sorry...I don't mean to cry like this...like some little girl." "Nathan," Ahkmenrah began in a firm yet sweet-tempered voice.

 "You're worried for our well-being, what you're feeling is natural. Everybody sheds their tears at some point. You never have to feel ashamed of crying in front of me or any of us. You do have a gentle soul...my guardian." Giving Nathan that smile that always melted his heart, a grin of his own breaks across Nathan's face as he wipes at his eyes muttering a soft 'thank you'.

 "Oh yeah: Before I forget, we also found your parents. They're at the British Museum."

 "That's fantastic! Shouldn't we be going then?"

  "Well as much as we'd like to get moving...there's only one problem standing our way," Nathan explained crossing his arms, noticing Ahkmenrah's eyes glisten with excitement less at his upcoming bad news.

 "McPhee. There's no way he's going to let Larry and I take you guys out of here." Ahkmenrah gave a furrow of his brows.

 "So what now then?" "Now Larry's going to try and 'sweet talk' him. Try to butter him up to let us take you guys to Britan."

  "The Egyptian Gods will receive many prayers tonight..."

   A sigh escaped Nathan's lips once more, giving a shrug of his shoulders. "In the mean time all we have to do is wait I guess...God I hate waiting."

 Ahkmenrah chuckled softly at his reaction, sharing another brief hug with him though the Pharaoh looks up at his Anubis guards looking down at them with concern as well. He gives a shake of his head, mouthing to them that they can handle this. One can only try...