5

The footsteps across the cold limestone floors sounded like a fastened heartbeat that echoed down the cold empty halls. Xilivicus walked in silence still pondering his thoughts from before. The image of Elizabeth wearing nothing but her undergarments scorched and consumed his mind. The clarity was unrealistic as though it appeared that he was merely looking through a glass at her. The maiden followed quickly behind him as her own thoughts stormed through the depths of her mind.

The silence was so distressing to be in. Both man and woman quickly resorted to their anxiety as the silence continued. Elizabeth was first to act upon her thoughts. This day possibly couldn't get any worse. First I am nearly slaughtered down by monsters, then my guard catches me in practically nothing, and now I have to talk to Broga again! How much more could he possibly want from me? Her brow furrowed and her soft eyelids fell partially over her eyes as she fell deeper into thought. Her hand slipped into her pocket and she pulled out the golden necklace. Her eyes glanced over it a few times and quickly she put it around her neck hoping that such a familiar item would soothe her soul.

Xilivicus continued walking; the sound of Elizabeth's footsteps became isolated echoes outside his hard shell of a body. His chest rose immensely as he took in a deep breath then let out a frustrated sigh. Broga had not even announced this new interrogation. As if—he had just came up with the idea. That is truly not like him at all. The Dremora rounded through a steep dim staircase. He has seemed so odd and bothered for a while now, ever since Dagon had ordered us into Kvatch to aid in the conquest.

"Xilivicus," Elizabeth whispered out into the silence.

Her voice made a ripple affect through the air and soon it had appeared that the maiden's voice surrounded the Dremora. He quickly turned around and looked at her. She looked so collected and submissive. He could see how effortlessly it was going to be for Broga to worm information out of her. "...yes?"

"... About earlier," she began as her mind was still placing the question together like a puzzle, "... about caring for me..."

Xilivicus furrowed his brow as he conjured up an excuse. A few were denied because the believability of them was completely absurd. "Don't fancy that it means I actually care," he snapped with hostility, "It means that by protecting you I protect myself."

Elizabeth was taken back and her face iced over with anger, "so really, it is not about me. It's just about protecting your own hide—is that it?"

"Why would I care for you?" His fiery eyes shot her down and she almost recoiled from his gaze.

She bit into her small heart shaped lips and breathed slowly through her nostrils. Her soul was raging inside of her. He was so cruel, then he showed kindness, then he returned to his normal state. Oh, how she would never understand a Daedra! She refused to answer his question even if it was rhetorical. Xilivicus turned round and led her even further. Her hands were held before her and she pressed her right index finger into the back of her hand in anger. Certainly this day could not get any worse...

Broga poured himself another glass with a smirk. His mind worked like a conveyer belt. One idea was brought forward and to it, he had added much more things to it until it became a question he wanted to ask the Elf. The final product came out and he chuckled. How wonderful it was going to be to finally figure out more about these... humans.

Unworldly silver eyes protruded through the darkness of the corners and ceiling and a voice chimed out, "You suddenly have taken a change of attitude."

"Events have turned around," he said as if the person had always been there, "there is still hope for her yet."

The Spider Daedra lowered herself. Her head tilted forward and her whole headdress was recognizable. "You speak of the Elf, I presume," she purred. "You toy with her just like all your other prey; however, she appears... different. You have a fancy for her, hmm?"