19

The billowing clouds within the Oblivion sky clouded everything. The stars disappeared under a blanket of blackness and the Daedra began to retire to their quarters in hope that the new day would bring more thrill and excitement. Near the grand Watch Tower, Xilivicus walked with Elizabeth. The two were close together as the Churl presented her to every commander and lieutenant. She answered customary questions that they presented her with and when some of the more intolerant Daedra questioned her Xilivicus would step in and protect her.
In one situation, the commander had gotten physical and attempted to harm the Elf. Xilivicus quickly intervened and calmed the soldier. As they parted, the Churl wrapped his arm around the girl and made certain that she would be safe.

They walked in the darkness and Elizabeth leaned her head upon his armor, catching the aroma of his hair which smelt like a roaring fire and his skin that smelt like an emerald forest. Her eyes fluttered and she moved even closer. The Churl pushed her away slightly and shook his head, "... we can't get close, Elizabeth."

"... Why not?" she inquired with a softened glare.

His lips pursed as he continued walking and knew that he did not want to plunge any further into that conversation. His heart began to shatter in his chest as he walked even farther from her. The maiden lowered her head as she pondered quietly to herself. Their footsteps became silent across the red sand of Oblivion. The waltzing wind pushed and pulled on the couple as they sauntered down the streets. Elizabeth's eyes cast up upon such marvelous structures like training facilities and dining halls. There were Daedric quarters for different levels of Daedra and even a Clannfear farm where they breed and harvested meat for meals.

The girl's ample eyes widened as she tried to take in all her surroundings. A few stray Daedra wandered the streets with nothing else to do. They watched fascinated as they caught a closer glimpse of the Cyrodiilic beauty. The Altmer pulled up her skirts and ran a little faster to catch up to Xilivicus. She looked up at him and questioned, "... where are we going?"

"To the Arch-Mage, Xarovica. He is the eldest of the Daedra. One of the first creations that Lord Dagon had ever constructed. After we speak with him then you may return to the watch tower and rest. Surely you need it for your day has been rather perturbing." The Churl had said while giving her a glance. He turned down a paved path that led to a great ebony tower where the Arch-Mage resided.

Elizabeth kept close as her guard pushed open the great door and guided her into the keep of the Mage's tower. It smelt of curious mixtures and burning incense. The maiden lifted her skirts as she ascended the triangular stairs that coiled around just like the old tower in the Oblivion of Kvatch. She followed Xilivicus and as they reached the next level of the tower she saw all assortments of ancient tomes both Daedric and Cyrodiilic. Incense hung from swinging golden plates that attached to the ceiling and walls. A few torches were lit and burning down to stubs.

The maiden looked over the gardens of books to see a very old Dremora sitting at a desk; fooling with alchemistic ingredients. His aged bronze skin gleamed in the firelight as he hunched over and observed the elements with those eyes who matched that of the Churl. His long horns twisted back in a ram's structure and his aged silver hair was pulled back into a loose bounding. Just as Xilivicus was to step upon the stone floor, the old rugged yet very inviting voice of the Dremora called out, "You best have clean boots before you walk all over my floors, Xilivicus, my boy."

"I do, sir," the Churl said with a soft smile. "Elder-Xarovica... this is—"

"—Elizabeth Asquerana the Altmer scholar... yes, I know." He pushed himself out of his seat leisurely for his old bones could hardly support him. His long Mythic Dawn robes cascaded past the floor as he glided around his desk and over to the girl. A great friendly smile pulled across his lips as he took her gentle petite hand and bowed to her. He lifted his eyes to her and said, "My, you are more beautiful then I could have imagined. You're keeping my son in line, aren't you?"