Flashbacks*

Flashback 11 years ago...

"Elijah! Hurry up, or we're going to be late!" a voice yelled across the small apartment.

"Coming Mommy!" a smaller, more squeaky voice called.

A small red haired girl came running into the room, carrying a backpack and a hairbrush. Her long red hair is tangled, and messy from not brushing it since getting out of bed in the morning. Her bright green eyes are filled with happiness, and her pale face shows a smile. She's very excited to see her friends. She's wearing a pair of black leggings, sneakers, a white shirt, and a green sweater that is to big for her body.  

"You're hair's a mess, why didn't you brush it?" her mother asks looking at the young girl.

The small girl's smile drops and she looks to the floor, this has happened a few times, but the young girl didn't understand why her mother would do this. "You said that you were going to brush it for me."

Her mother's face didn't falter," I said that I might brush it, now you're making us late. Come on, you can brush it in the car."

Her hand grabbed Elijah's wrist tightly, and she pulled her out the door. They exited the apartment, walked through the apartment building, and made their way down to the lobby. The small girl's face twisted in pain at her mother's tight grip, but she didn't say anything.  She didn't want to upset her mother further. Soon they made it outside, once there they were met with a sleek black car. The mother pulled her daughter in to the vehicle, she was already late. Elijah slid into the backseat, and quickly buckled herself, placing her bag on the floor in front if her. As the car started to drive off, Elijah lifted the brush to her hair, but was stopped by her mother.

"Elijah, don't."

"What? You told me I could brush it in the car," she says confused.

"You're going to get the car dirty with your hair going everywhere, do it when we get there."

Elijah nods her head, and looks out the window. Why does her mom do that to her? Tell her something and then when she goes to do it she gets mad at her because of it. To herself she kept thinking things that young girls shouldn't. She's only five, and she feels like she can't do anything right, that her mother doesn't love her. She feels that it's her fault, that she's not a good kid. She see all the kids in her school, and how their parents treat them, they brush their kid's hair, and hug them constantly. So being five, she thinks that it's her fault, but that doesn't mean she's not going to try. She's going to be a great person, and great daughter in her mother's eyes, she just needs to prove herself.

The car stopped, and Elijah quickly grabbed her things, and followed her mother out of the car. Her mother didn't let the girl wander to far, for she once again had a tight grip on her wrist. She dragged her onto the dock, and ultimately into the Helicarrier. She pulled her daughter into an empty conference room, pushed her inside, and stood in the doorway. There Elijah was met with Maria Hill. Maria is one of Elijah's favorite friends. Her mother quickly left Elijah with Maria. Elijah's mother went off to a different conference room, one where she was needed, and Maria sat Elijah down in a chair, and started talking with the young girl.

"Elijah, Why's your hair so messy?" she asks touching the girl's hair slightly.

"I never got a chance to brush it."

"Here, give me the brush."

Elijah handed Maria the brush, and turned away from her. From there, Maria brushed her hair, and ended up putting it into French braids. Elijah wanted to ask her if this is what are supposed to parents do with their children. She didn't though, she doesn't want to get her mom in trouble because she knows that if she tells Maria what her mom does, her mom will get in trouble, and then her mom will get mad at her.