Chapter Two

Percy's POV

Today's my first day of Junior year.  Big whoop.

Okay, okay.  I know.

My mom's going crazy about it, treating starting another year of high school like I just won the Olympics or something.  To be honest, I don't really care.  

I mean yeah, swimming Varsity for another season's gonna be pretty fun, and everyone's sure I'll make it to State for the third year running.  And of course I'm excited to see my friends again, but school's never been my "thing".  Sure, my grades are alright, but I barely take any advanced courses (except for Marine Biology), and I've never passed a class with higher than a "B" in my life. 

At least the way there should be fun.  I hop on the bus and grab a seat next to my bro Jason.  He's a cool guy, and we've been best friends for as long as I can remember.  He'll be going out for the football team again this fall.  He's fair player himself, but our school's team sucks ass. He's better at the whole "school" thing than I am, though.  He gets almost all A's and takes a ton of advanced classes.  Whatever.  Enough about him.

We talk a little, mostly complaining about going back to school, rumors we've heard about our new teachers, all that crap.  Before I know it, we pull up to the Goode High.

There are already a ton of kids filing in, so Jason and I decide to wait for a minute and sort out our schedules.  We have next to no classes together, which is just great.  When we finally get off the bus, we make our way to our lockers, which are right next to each other.  After we drop off our stuff, Frank Zhang and Leo Valdez make their way over.

Frank's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  Although he seems really intimidating when you first see him, he's a softie once you get to know him.  

Leo, on the other hand, is a troublemaker.  He's really funny, but not the best guy to choose when you want to get something done.  

They're also a part of Jason and my friend group.  I guess you could call us "popular", but I don't like to use that word.  We're not like the stereotypical dickhead football clan you see in movies, we just know a lot of people.  

"Hey guys," says Frank.

"Wassup," Leo chimes in.

We hang around our lockers and chat for a little while, catching up on what's changed over the summer.  I'm disappointed when the warning bell rings, as none of them are in first period English with me.  Oh well.  I walk into room 202 with some time to spare, start up a conversation with a kid named Nico, who's sitting next to me.  

I don't even notice the bell ring, or when some new girl sits down to fill the other open seat in my row.  But, unfortunately, class starts and so does, as mom calls it, my "Junior year experience".  Let's get this over with.

Hey!  Sorry for another slow, short chapter, I just kinda wanna establish everything before jumping into the story.  Thanks for reading and I promise it'll get better soon!  Love y'all.

L (Author)

Disclaimer: All characters in this story belong to Rick Riordan.