Chapter Seventeen

Author's Note-

Hey guys, I just wanted to say HOLY SHIT.  I've been on hiatus from Wattpad for about a month now and open this to find 6.2k reads? Absolutely insane.  Thank you guys sosososo much, I literally cannot express the amount of gratitude I have.  I feel really bad about the long break (especially because of the comments asking for updates lmao, that has been noted). So,  I'm going to try to make this chapter longer than usual and add some more ~romantic tension~.  Thanks for the support and if you're wondering why I've been gone for so long, I'll have a brief explanation at the bottom of this page.  I'm beyond words at how grateful I am for all of your support, and I'll try to keep doing this for you guys.  

Love y'all and enjoy,

Lillian (Author)

----------------------------------------------------

Percy's POV

I can't sleep.  Something about Annabeth's whole situation just seems... off.  I can't get her out of my head.  I mean, I can't get the text from her step-mom out of my head.  I also have the results of swim tryouts to think of, which I know I should be worried about, but my thoughts always circle back to her.  

On Tuesday morning, I slump into school, almost forgetting that the Varsity roster for the swim team is posted.  I get a small spike of energy once I remember, and head for the Athletic Director's office.  Naturally, a minor crowd of underclassmen crowds the window, and I hear a chorus of groans- a sure sign that they made either the JV team or freshman.  Most of them see me coming, though, and the herd parts a bit to let me through.  With a quick glance at the Varisty list, I spot my name about halfway down.  Jason makes an appearance up there as well, so I turn and go back to my locker.  Jason's already there.  He gives me a high five and we chat a bit before the warning bell rings.  I grab my binder and notebook for first hour and walk down to Bio.

I falter a little when I spot Annabeth, who gives me a small wave from her desk in the center of the room.  I go over to join her and am about to ask about the rest of her weekend when the teacher calls for attendance.  I reluctantly turn my attention to the front of the room.

Over the next couple of days, I try to keep an eye on Annabeth, trying to make sure nothing seems to be wrong.  It's hard to tell, but she's active as much as usual in our shared classes, and we've started talking more on a regular basis.  Which basically means she's roasting me more on a regular basis.  But I like to think I defend myself pretty well.

The week blows by, and before I know it, the final bell is ringing on Friday afternoon.  I snap myself out of my Ancient History daze in time to see Annabeth glance worriedly at her phone and rush out the door.  I scramble to gather my books and follow her.  By the time I reach the Junior hallway where our lockers are, I'm afraid I've lost her.  Luckily, I spot her on my way out of the school, walking as fast as she can towards the exit.

"Annabeth!" I call out.  She turns, trying to locate me in the crowd of students.  Eventually, her grey eyes rest on where I am, and I motion for her to come back.  She crosses her arms and waves me towards her, then continues towards the gates.  I pursue her at a half-jog, and she stops to wait for me on the sidewalk just outside of Goode campus.  Once I catch up, we advance down toward the subway together.  She turns to me slightly as we walk.

"So, what is it?" she asks.

"Oh, uh just wanted to make sure that you- that you're okay?  I mean, with your stepmom and everything." I supply.

"Yeah.  I already told you, everything's fine."

"I know, it's just I- I have a gut feeling that- that something's wrong.  And, like, if you need anything and stuff, you have my snap-"

She stops and turns to face me completely.  "Percy.  Everything is fine.  I swear.  And sure, I can tell you if I need help or whatever.  But I don't.  Okay?" she says, eyes becoming steely.  It's kind of intimidating.

"Yeah.  Yeah, okay." I respond, deciding to let the subject drop.  Even if my gut's telling me it's not true, I won't get anything out of an argument.  She doesn't object as we enter the subway station, and get on a train near her house.  I remember the last time we were together on the subway,  just a few days ago.  It seems like it's been a lot longer than that.

Light conversation drifts between the two of us, but most of the ride is spent in silence.  She gets off at the fourth stop, leaving me to distract myself with my phone in the remaining ten minutes of the ride.

Once the train reaches my stop, I hop out and make my way to my apartment.  I pass the night in my room, mainly without interruption from my mom, and am exhausted enough from a week of school to actually get to bed at a decent hour.  I let my thoughts roam as I cross between reality and the world of my dreams, my last thoughts before I drift away of blonde curls and grey eyes.

--------------------------------------------------

Author's Note (why I've been gone for so long lol):

So bAsically I just started at a new school and all of my extracurriculars have been super hectic as of recently!  It's like 11:30 pm at the moment so I'll try to pre-write a chapter or two more to publish sometime in the (hopefully near) future, and for those of you who've read this far, thank you and I hope you're enjoying the story :)

Anyway, thank you all so much for your support, and please feel free to comment/vote/follow (or don't lol).  Hope you're having a great day and see you in the next one.

-Lillian (Author)