Chapter Four

Percy's POV

The first day of school was actually better than I thought it'd be.

I knew basically everybody in all of my classes, except for the new girl who sat by me in science.  Her name's Annabell or something, and we have almost the exact same schedule.

She's smart.  Like, really smart.

Take Ancient History, for example.  I thought I knew a lot about Greek Mythology, but I guess I was wrong.  Don't ask me why, but our teacher, Mr. Anderson, gave us a quiz to "test our prior knowledge on the subject" or some shit like that.  I mean, come on.  A quiz on the first day of school?  I completely bombed it, as did most of my friends.  Mr. Anderson collected the papers with a sneer, glancing over them and scribbling "F"s on every paper until he got to the new girl's.

I didn't believe it.

She got every question right.

Every.

Single.

One.

Mr. Andersen surveys her with a look of pure shock on his face.

"Why, perfect score!  Well done, Miss...?"

"Chase.  Annabeth Chase."

That's her name.  Annabeth.  Not Annabell.

Several of my classmates throw her dirty looks.  I join in.  I mean, she did make us look bad in front of the teacher on the first day of school.  What a smartass.  

But Annabeth either doesn't notice or doesn't care about what the rest of the class thinks.  I guess I have to give her some props for that.

"Alright, class.  You may use the rest of this hour as a free period, but if it gets too loud, I'm not afraid to hand out detentions, first day of school or not."

Mr. Andersen's final remark is met by a chorus of groans from my fellow classmates.  This guy is rough.

As I turn to my friends, I happen to catch a glance at the other side of the room, where Annabeth is chatting with the girl next to her.  I vaguely remember her from some of my classes last year.  I'm pretty sure her name is Piper.  

Damn, I'm surprised to see that Annabeth has anyone to talk to, especially after her stupid little perfect quiz score.  Whatever.  I talk swimming with some of the guys sitting behind me, surprised to hear that some of them are going out for Varsity this year too.  More competition, but nothing I can't beat.  I don't really have anyone to nudge out, considering the rest of the team's times from last year.  

We keep talking about this and that, and before I know it, the bell rings, signaling the end of the day.  I hate to say it, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  My friend Travis and I head to the guys' locker room for our first day of swim tryouts.  

Thanks for reading another (very short) chapter!  Soooo yeah, these first couple of segments are gonna be pretty uneventful, but please just hang tight and stay with me here!  I hope y'all are enjoying this so far and if you are, feel free to drop some votes ;).  Love you guys.

L (Author)

Disclaimer: All characters in this story belong to Rick Riordan, and I do not claim any ownership over them.