Chapter Twenty One

Percy's POV

I wake up from my after-school nap a little later than usual to hear a knock at my door. My mom's out with Paul this evening, so I drag myself off of my bed and stumble down the hall. I have no idea who would be coming around at this time. Rubbing my eyes, I open the door. Annabeth's standing there, a heavy-looking grey backpack slung across her shoulders. She looks close to tears. I don't know what to say.

"Annabeth! I- uh, what's wrong? Are you- do you need-" I'm cut off when she throws her arms around me, breaking down in sobs. Still slightly in shock, I wrap my arms around her, holding her as she cries into my shirt. I try to console her, but can't find the words. We stay like that for a few minutes, until Annabeth is able to regain some sort of composure. She straightens, but keeps her gaze on the ground. She wipes her face with her hand.

"It's my stepmom again," Annabeth says gloomily. "Fed up with me. 'Done with my shit', as she so lovingly put it," she adds. Annabeth raises her eyes to meet mine. She looks even more exhausted than she did at Jason's party. "Look, Percy, I'm really sorry, but I don't know where to go and I don't think anyone'll take me and I can't go back and I-" her voice breaks.

"It's- it's okay," I say, placing a hand on her back and gently guiding her into the apartment, shutting the door behind her as quietly as I can. I gesture for her to drop her backpack on the counter, to which she complies, before leading her over to the couch. I run a hand through my hair, unsure of what to do from here. Annabeth sits down, gaze far away.

"Here, you- you must be cold. I can grab some blankets and, uh... we have some hot chocolate." I stutter, turning back to the kitchen.

"Oh, you really don't- I wouldn't want you to-" she starts.

"No, it's not a problem," I respond, grabbing some blankets from the closet. I hand them to Annabeth as she bites back an argument. She hesitantly pulls them around herself, visibly relaxing. I have to stop myself from staring as I make my way to the kitchen to heat up some water.

The apartment is quiet as I circle the kitchen, and I can't keep myself from staring at Annabeth.  She's facing away from me, looking out as the sun sets over the city through the living room window.  Her blonde curls stand out against the dark blues and greens of the blankets, and the golden light of the sinking sun washes over her silhouette. 

Sneaking a few more glances at her as I prepare the hot cocoa, I'm relieved to see that she seems to have relaxed slightly.  Her back rests against the couch now, curls spilling over the side.  I return with her drink, and she turns to me as I sit down beside her.

"So, um.  Wanna watch a movie?" I ask, handing her the cocoa.

I internally hit myself for saying something so stupid, but Annabeth offers a small smile.  The sight sends butterflies into my stomach, and she nods.

I go to turn the TV on before pausing.

"Wait, do you wanna watch in my room?" I freeze after realizing what I'd said. Annabeth blushes.

"What?!"

"I mean- my mom's out, but if she comes back- I'm sure she'll be happy to have you, but I don't know if you want to explain- and if you're in my room she-"

Annabeth offers a weak smile, getting up from the couch. "Okay, Seaweed Brain."

TO BE CONTINUED

a/n will update again, hopefully soon, most of y'all are lovely in the comments so just know if you're leaving kind ones i love u <3 and if you're leaving mean ones you're a stinky poo x anyway enjoy and feel free to follow comment interact etc :)