Chapter Fourteen

Author's Note

Oh my gods you guys!! I was seriously considering ending this story, but opened Wattpad yesterday to find over 1k reads! Thank you so much for your support, and I hope you're enjoying this so far! It took me a hot minute to write this chapter, so I hope y'all enjoy it. I honestly never thought this lil story would get more than a hundred or so at the very most, so it really does mean a lot. More chapters coming soon.

Thanks again, guys. Keep being awesome.

-Lillian (Author)

Annabeth's POV

It's about 5 AM when I wake up from a buzzing from my phone.  It takes me a minute to realize where I am.  I blink, trying to make out shapes in the darkness surrounding me.  I can see a dusty orange outline of the rising sun through the window shade, and a few of my friends stir in their sleep.  Then, I realize who I've been using as a pillow.

I clumsily attempt to move off of Percy as much as I can, not-so-silently pressing myself against the corner.  Gods, this is awkward.  Once I'm as far from him as possible, I remember the buzz that woke me up and glance down.

My phone is still in my hand, lit up with a text notification.  I quickly turn it to Night Shift and put the brightness all the way down so as not to wake anybody else.  It's a text from Helen.

Where the hell are you?  Sneaking out with a guy, I bet.  Keep it up and I'll kick you out soon enough, you little skank.

I roll my eyes and click my phone off before a voice from above me jolts me even more awake.    "Woah, woah, woah.  Who was that?" Percy asks, voice low but demanding.  I rub my eyes.

"Uh, no one," I respond, trying to shove my phone into my pocket.

"It was definitely someone," he replies, "and I'm telling the others unless you fess up,"

I sigh.  "Fine.  It was my stepmom.  It's nothing, really, I-"

"Nothing?  Annabeth, you could report her to CPS or something for pulling shit like that.  Is that how she talks to you?" he whisper-yells.

I roll my eyes.  "Yeah, it is.  But it's fine," I add, off a raised eyebrow from him.  "Seriously.  I just need to make it through another few years and I'll never have to see her again."  Percy goes silent for a moment.

"I- are you sure?" he asks, voice softening.  He actually looks pretty worried.  I give him a small smile.

"Yep.  It's all good," I say.  He grumbles to himself, but lays his head back and closes his eyes.  I type out a quick response to Helen, not with a boy.  at a friend's.  back by noon.  With that out of the way, I lean against the back of the couch and drift off once more.

----------------------------------

Annabeth's POV (cont'd)

I wake up for real around 10, when Leo decides to rouse those still asleep by gently blasting us in the face with a bullhorn.  Don't ask me how the hell he managed to sneak that in, but I can assure you it's not a great way to start (or restart) your morning.  I rub my eyes and stand up, awkwardly trying to avoid contact with Percy as I do so.  He scratches the back of his neck nervously before rising as well, and everybody heads into Jason's kitchen for breakfast.

The bulky kid, Frank, helps Hazel make pancakes.  Piper observes them with a raised eyebrow, a grin spreading across her face.  She elbows me, chuckling.  "If they end up together, I totally called it," she remarks.  I don't disagree.  I could see Frazel working out.

The rest of us talk for a bit while the pancakes are being prepared, chatting about drama in the school, which teachers are the worst (we're all fairly convinced Ms. Dodds is sent from hell itself), until the conversation inevitably lands on swimming tryouts.  I decide it's better to zone out while Percy gloats about his successes, and turn my attention out the window.  There's always a million things going on outside, so I lose myself in the action for a few minutes before Frank announces that the pancakes are ready. When I turn back to my friends, I notice Percy is looking at me, frowning slightly.  Almost as if he had wanted me to hear him brag about his swimming stuff.  I shrug it off, and Piper slides me a pancake.  

Breakfast passes without much more disturbance than the occasional wisecrack by Leo, and too soon, I have to go home.  I'm among the first to leave, so I hug Piper goodbye, thank Jason for the party and start to head out.  Just before I reach the door, though, I feel a strong hand on my shoulder.  "Hey, Annabeth, wait."

Percy turns me to face him.  For whatever reason, I feel heat rise to my cheeks.  I don't want the others to think anything's, like, going on.

"What is it?" I ask, trying for a neutral expression, even though I'm almost certain I know why he's stopped me.  He lowers his voice.  

"Are you- are you sure you're good going back there?" he says.

"Yes!  Everythings okay, Percy.  And I'm completely capable of fending for myself when it comes to that.  Bye," I retort, exasperated.  It comes out harsher than I had intended, but I think I've made myself clear.  I parade out the door, and half-slam it behind me.  

The walk home is a blur, but (as always), I seem to make it home all too soon.  I check my watch. Technically, I still have a solid half hour before I need to be home, but Helen will no doubt have some excuse for expecting me earlier.  With a sigh, I enter my building and GO UP to my floor.  Once I reach the door to my apartment, I briefly consider waiting before deciding it's probably wise to get the worst over with now.  I brace myself and open the door.

"WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU??" Helen booms.  I take a deep breath.  I don't want an argument right now.

"Like I said earlier, I was at a friend's, so-"

"Liar,"

"It's true.  Here, I can show you my camera roll from last night-"

"Whatever, whore.  Just get up to your room."  I happily oblige.  "I don't want to hear from you 'till dinner!" she calls up the stairs after me.  I roll my eyes.  No problem there, I think to myself.  

I remain uninterrupted until 6ish, and I'm able to submit some pretty solid applications for some internships I'm interested in here in Manhatten.  Since it's only the first week of school, I don't have too much homework, so I kick back and relax for a few hours.  I binge The Office up until dinner.  The rest of the night passes without disturbance (well, other than the usual, at least), and before I know it, I'm tired enough to go to bed.  

I shut off my light and check my phone one last time.  I only have a couple of notifications, but when I read the top one, my brows furrow.  What?  I exclaim internally.  The notification's from Snapchat, and it reads:

percy jackson HAS ADDED YOU AS A FRIEND.   ACCEPT |  DECLINE

Huh.

I click accept.

I click my phone off, switching it to silent.  Then, I roll over to the opposite side of my bed and drift off to sleep.

Quick lil Author's Note, feel free to skip if you want lol

I don't have a ton of big ideas for the story, so any suggestions are welcome! Also, if u want to see other shit I'm working on and random news ab my life offline, feel free to follow 🤠

PS- I know that Snapchat thing at the end isn't exactly how it works but like... I needed something convenient to add some ~spice~ so j roll with it lmao

Disclaimer coming in 3...

2...

1...

Disclaimer: All characters mentioned belong to Uncle Rick etc, I do not make any ownership claims on any person mentioned in this story.