Chapter Twenty

Annabeth's POV

The following day starts of normal. Screaming. Cooking. Dressing. Brushing hair. Yelling.  Running. Running. Running.

Why do I always feel like I'm running away from something?

The day is much too cold to be walking to school, but I need to blow off some steam. I shudder as I walk through Central Park, breaths escaping in puffs of white air. It's unseasonably brisk for a mid-autumn morning, but I've learned not to mess with Mother Nature. She'll always come out on top, one way or another.

In any case, the cold is, if nothing else, a welcome distraction from the thoughts threatening to overtake my mind. I feel as though I'm reaching a breaking point with Helen. Well, that point was reached a long time ago. But I can't tolerate her shit any longer. These thoughts are pushed aside as a whistle and a "Hey, Mama!" greet me from a few feet away, across the side walk. This man picked the wrong day to catcall me. 

I turn around, hair whipping behind me. I storm up to the man, crossing the sidewalk in a couple steps until I am right up close to him. I hold my keys threateningly against his neck. His face purples. This was obviously not the outcome he was expecting.

"What the fuck did you just say to me?"

"I- I'm sorry, Miss, I didn't think- I didn't mean-"

I jerk my keys back, anger settling. "That's what I thought, you sick piece of shit."

I take a brief step towards him to scare him a little further, just for kicks, and I see him gulp. I turn around, eyes stormy, and continue on my way to school.

-

I can't get the previous night's fight with Helen out of my head, and a feeling of anxiousness and unease follows me throughout the day. Percy checks in on me, and my sense of guilt deepens when I realize we both knew I was lying in my response. I am grateful, at least, that he doesn't insist on getting an answer out of me. 

I realize that's one of the things I like most about him.

One of...

Whatever.

So, the rest of the school day is fine. I talk to Piper a little bit about my concerns over lunch, and she seems to understand. She gives me a hug before the bell rings, which is nice. 

When the final bell rings, I'm envious that my friends have something to do after school today. I'm not exactly eager to explore the city after this morning's incident, but I don't have any reason to hang around school. I head back to my place the long way, but still end up arriving at 5:30, sooner than I would have liked. To a much angrier Helen than I would have liked.

"And where in God's name were you?" she shrieks, swinging the door open so fast I flinch.  Satisfaction flicks across her eyes at this act of fear before they narrow once more.

"I was studying after school, then I took the subway home." I say, trying my best to keep my voice level. It's a complete lie, but I doubt Helen cares enough to call it.  She snarls, but apparently can't think of a better argument, so I step inside, careful not to make contact with her so as not to face retaliation.  I can feel her stale breath on my neck, sending shivers down my spine.