chapter 21

chapter 21 Better without us

"Miss, do you think it's a good idea? " Daniel cautiously asked me while looking at the front mirror to meet my eyes while we were driving towards the one particular house.

I leaned forward and smiled reassuringly. Even If I felt my own anxiousness and worry creeping back but I quickly put my hands under my legs to stop fingers from fidgeting too much.

No need to give myself away.

"There are no good or bad, only ideas" I answered him vaguely and he snorted but quickly covered it with a cough. I rolled my eyes at them.

"What Daniel wanted to ask, is it dangerous for you?" Nate the dark-haired hybrid sitting in the passenger seat explained and I leaned back and huffed. Well.

"Life is dangerous no matter what." I started to say and saw how Nate sighed at my overly philosophical answer. I just raised my finger in the air to catch their attention. "But, until we pissed her off or try to attack her we are good."

I finished and leaned back, momentary closing my eyes to get a grip on my emotions.
"I hope" I murmured silently hoping they wouldn't hear the last part of the sentence because honestly. I didn't know what would happen, I didn't even know if she would be willing to see me.

If the show was right then she was quite judgemental and prejudicial. And I really hoped that she let me talk and not award me with her famous aneurysm.
I grimaced at the thought.

"We are here." Daniel announced as we stopped in front of two story,a quite ordinary house. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and opened the black Range Rover's door to get out.
Of course both of my guardsmen followed me making me quite nervous.
I turned to both hybrids last time and crossed arms over my chest.

"Can I hope that you didn't tell Klaus about this?" I raised the left eyebrow in question they both lowered their eyes.

Of course not.

Sire bond.

"Klaus orders," Nate answered sheepishly and I sighed.

Wonderful, now Niklaus knows where I am. If he still cares, of course.

Without any other words I made my way towards the front door, I raised my fist to knock but before it could touch wooden door I stopped.

Just knock, you big baby. The worst case scenario you get an aneurysm. The best?

Well… let's not get our hopes too high.

I assured myself and finally knocked three times.

There was a possibility that she wasn't even at home or she wasn't alone. That would complicate things.

After few seconds I was ready and almost hoping to walk away when doors opened.
The dark-skinned teenager lifted her head to look at me, her green eyes met my greys and I was horrified to see how exhausted and sick she looked. Her skin was paler than ever, dark circles under her eyes showed lack of sleep.

"Can I help you?" she tiredly asked but still managed to sound polite.

I smiled.

"Nicolette Green, a pleasure to finally meet you." I softly greeted her and saw how slight recognition and shroud of suspicion dawned on her face.

What, really?

I extended my arm and greeting and after few seconds of eyeing it warily, she finally shook it, but the second our skins touched she instantly let go my hand as if she was burned.