2

"Don't trust anyone!" I recalled what Rick had said to me before I left.

He is right I can't trust anyone with it, not even Kate. It's too dangerous.

"Hello??" Kate's impatient voice brought me back to the present and she raised her eyebrow at me. "..your results?"

"Um, you know that we're not supposed to tell our results to anyone, right?"

"Yes I know. But I'm your best friend." She said cheekily.

"Says who?" I replied and her smile dropped.

I burst out in laughter and took her hand. "C'mon best friend, let's go back." She rolled her eyes at me but then started laughing as well. 

"You have to tell me sooner or later! I know you want to."

Do I want to tell her? 

. . .

A few days later the morning of the choosing ceremony had come.

I sat at breakfast with my aunt. Knowing that this was the last time I would see her felt strange. I guess I would miss her. She wasn't very loving and acted rather cool towards me but she did take me in when no one else did.

When I was 7 there was an accident and both my parents died. So my Aunt Claire took care of me.

I was very thankful for that but she was an Erudite through and through. Smart, strict, succinct and persuasive. And I knew I couldn't trust her with my test result. It made me sad but that's how it was.

I didn't really have anyone I could talk to. Of course I wanted to tell Kate but I knew I couldn't. I just hoped she would choose Dauntless as well, so I wouldn't lose my best friend.

"You should get dressed Elizabeth." She calmly said while reading the newspaper. She wasn't too bothered about today. She always thought I would stay in Erudite, like she did, and have an impressing career in science. 

Little does she know...

I put on a white blouse and a light blue skirt with a matching blazer. Then I put my hair into a bun and made my way back downstairs.

When we arrived we walked into a great building where each faction was seated in a separate area. The half-circle-shaped room had bright lights and high walls. My aunt and I made our way over to the Erudite area where she met Jeanine Matthews, our leader, and stopped to talk to her.

"This is my niece Elizabeth." 

Jeanine Matthews - blond with watery gray eyes and a cold demeanor. She looked me up and down and put on the fakest smile I had ever seen, looking unreal like a robot almost.

"What a beautiful young lady. I wish you good luck for today, you have an important decision to make."

I thanked her and mimicked her fake smile, then I left to find Kate.

"Eliza! Over here." I turned around and saw her seated in one of the top rows. I made my way up to her and gave her a small hug, then greeted her parents briefly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Excited.." She smiled. "..but also sad." Her expression changed into a frown.

"Wait, did you just confirm that you'll leave Erudite?" I whispered.

She looked up at me and nodded. I could see a flash of guilt in her eyes.

"Don't feel bad Kate, I will leave too."

"What really?" She rose her eyebrows at me. "You of all people? You'd be the perfect Erudite. I could see you in other factions too though...Where will you go?"

I went silent for a moment wondering if I should tell her but she would find out in a few seconds anyway so why not.

"Let's say it together, okay?"

She nodded. "1..2..3!"

"Dauntless." We said at the same time but quiet enough so only we could hear.

"OMG really??" She hugged me tightly.

"God I was hoping you'd go there too. I'm so glad. Now we won't have to say goodbye." I smiled brightly revealing my pearly white teeth.

"Also, you'll be a great Dauntless! You can be really tough and bossy." She smiled and I just rolled my eyes at her.

"That's not true."

We were interrupted by Jeanine starting her speech a few seconds later.

"The faction system is a living being composed of cells, all of you. And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place. The future belongs to those who know where they belong. When we leave this room, you will no longer be dependents but full-fledged members of our society. Faction before blood."

Everyone repeated the last three words and the ceremony began.

I was surprised to see that the majority of people transferred to other factions. I thought most of them would stay in their own. It made me feel better though. It was good to know we weren't the only ones.

"Elizabeth King."

Alright. Guess it's my turn. You got this.

I took a deep breath and got up to walk towards the stage. In the center of it were four bowls placed on a table each of them filled with items representing a faction.

Shattered glass for Candor, soil for Amity, water for Erudite, coals for Dauntless and gray pebbles for Abnegation.

In front of the bowls was a knife. I took it into my hands and cut into my left palm, making it bleed.

I always thought I would have a thousand things on my mind while being up here choosing my new faction. But I didn't.

My mind was empty.

I knew what I had to do, there was no other choice. I blended everything else out and moved my bleeding palm over to the Dauntless bowl. A drop of blood fell down on the burning coal and made it sizzle.

I was brought back to reality when shouting and applause erupted from the Dauntless area. I walked towards them and gave my aunt one last look. For a moment she looked shocked but within a second she was back to her stone faced self and turned her head away from me.

Faction before blood, right?

The Dauntless welcomed me cheering loudly and made room for me so I could sit down in the first row. Somehow joining Dauntless felt really good and after a while it was finally Kate's turn.

"Katherine Lewis."

She did the exact same thing I did and then made her way over to the encouraging Dauntless born and sat down next to me.

"God, we actually did it!" She exclaimed happily.

"I can't wait to become a member of Dauntless."

<<<<>>>>

Hey guys, I hope you liked this chapter. Leave me vote or tell me what you think if you enjoyed reading it :)

Thank you for reading my story <3