4

"Did you change your mind already, initiate?"

I think we can only partially figure people out, never entirely. At least not until we really know them.

But figuring out this guy was easy.

You, Eric, are a bully. You like to see others suffer and rub it into their face. You like to feel powerful and you like to think you're above everyone else, especially initiates.

I don't like bullies and I won't let you win.

"On the contrary." I replied and threw myself off the roof backwards, facing the sky.

I saw him raise his eyebrow for a second and then I was gone.

I closed my eyes and stretched out my arms like a bird. A few moments later I landed on a gigantic net which made me bounce back up again a few times before I just lied there smiling to myself.

Two strong arms grabbed my waist, pulled me out of the net and lifted me onto the ground.

"What's your name?" Another young man dressed in Dauntless clothing stood in front of me. His voice was cold and monotone.

Probably another leader.

He appeared muscular with toned arms and his hair was dark, almost black.

Why is everyone at Dauntless so handsome.

"Eliza." I replied.

"First Jumper, Eliza!" He yelled into the dark.

More and more initiates flew down into the net and joined me. Kate and Erin were among the next five.

Just Alex took a bit longer but eventually he made it. When everyone was down, the guy who pulled me out of the net and a woman stood in front of us.

"Welcome to Dauntless. Dauntless-born, go with Lauren, transfers stay with me."

About half of the group left with Lauren.

"Most of the time I work in Intelligence, but during your training, I'll be your instructor. My name's Four." At least he looked a little nicer than Eric.

Then he gave us a tour of Dauntless.

"This is The Pit." He said as we walked into a gigantic area where a lot of Dauntless people were chatting, playing games or drinking. "The center of life here at Dauntless."

Next were the dorms. "This is where you'll be sleeping for the next 10 weeks."

"Girls or boys?" Erin asked.

"Both."

Great.

Normally I wouldn't mind but the toilets and showers were all out in the open and I really liked my privacy.

A few people, including me and Kate, groaned and complained about it.

"Get changed." Four commanded.

Erin, Alex, Kate and I all got beds next to each other and got changed. We had to burn our old clothes afterwards and were then led to the dining area.

The only table with enough free seats left was the one were Four sat. We started eating and chatting about our old factions.

"Were you two friends before this?" I asked Erin. "Yes we grew up together."

"Just like us." Kate said and smiled.

"Back in Amity we always hung out and planned to transfer together someday."