9

It didn't seem like anyone was in the mood to talk unless it was necessary. Odd is trying his best to cheer everyone up with some of his jokes, but none of them stuck. I just really hope we don't mess up this whole thing.

"I'll go over the plan once more." Jeremie pushes up the frame of his glasses.

"(Y/n), Odd and Ulrich will stay behind and help anyone they see in danger and kill off any of the monsters that leaked out into the city. Send updates every fifteen minutes to let us know you're status. Hopefully, we'll finish things sooner than later."

"Yumi, William, and Aelita will head to the Factory through the Boiler Room to avoid any exposer to the gas. The Activated Tower is located in the Ice Sector." Jeremie sighs heavily. "With a little luck, we'll stop this disaster before things get too ugly and do an RTTP."

Odd raises his hand slightly. "So, if we breathe in the stuff, what's gonna happen to us?"

"If what I know is correct, first, you'll probably gain a rather harsh migraine within the first few minutes. Then, you'll feel a slight tingling sensation throughout your body like as if your foot was about to fall asleep. You'll soon lose your motor controls and become paralyzed, followed by blindness."

"O-Oh, lovely," I mumble.

"As long as we have these," Ulrich holds up the gas mask William brought. "I think we should be fine."

"You think?"

"Better than nothing."

"These should temporally neutralize the effects if anything happens." Aelita steps forward and hands us water bottles. "Though, I'm afraid they won't do anything long term."

I sigh. "Better than nothing. . ."

"Okay, is everyone ready?"

No one speaks up, but it seems we all agreed with each other.

My heart pounds heavily as I watch my friends walk out the door one by one. I give Kiwi one last hug before putting him back in his drawer. I slip on my mask and head outside with the others.

It's dark and quite foggy outside. It doesn't help that the clouds are completely covering the moon, and it's freezing out. With this kind of atmosphere, it almost seems like we could be in the zombie apocalypse.

Ulrich hands the two of us our weapons from the shed. Odd twirls his nail gun around his finger. "Anyone jealous of the others?"

"Jealous how exactly?"

"They get to go to Lyoko where it's safe! Well, except for Jeremie. He's about fifty-fifty."

We exit school grounds, cautiously checking our surroundings. "I wouldn't call Lyoko safe either," Ulrich kicks a stray can on the street and sends it flying to who knows where. "If anything, it's just as dangerous."

"True." Thankfully, the street lights are still working. "There's the Digital sea and the Scyphozoa that you have to look out for." I shudder at the thought of the gross tentacle monster. I'm never ever looking forward to meeting that thing.

"Hmm, do you think we could make it to the Eiffel Tower?" I ask. "I'm not sure what part of France we're in."

"I wish!" Odd cheers. "That would be so cool at night! Destroying monsters like 'pew pew pew' while having an excellent view!"

"I don't think you'd want to walk for two hours when we can hardly see in front of us," Ulrich says.

I groan. I think my legs would fall off if I tried. "Two hours? So much for sightseeing."

A sudden roar booms throughout the empty street, startling me enough to slam myself against the wall beside me accidentally. Yeah, that might leave a bruise.

Ulrich peaks around the corner and spots three Tarantulas that are just beginning to spread the gas throughout a park. Thankfully, it's a wide-open field, so it won't affect the neighborhood entirely.

"Think these are Xana's favorite monster?" I look at Odd. "It's been using these guys a lot lately."

"Does it really matter at the moment?" He shrugs his arms. "We can debate about that after we take them down."

Ulrich sprints to a nearby tree and hides behind it, clutching the javelin pole close to his chest. He looks over us and holds up three fingers, slowly counting down before we make our move.

Three. . . two. . . one. . . !

Odd dashes out from the corner and starts firing away at the Tarantulas. I run up from behind him and bash my pipe into its head. The monster loses its footing and falls to the ground with a thud. Ulrich is quick to follow up and stabs it through the Eye of Xana.

"God, why can't it always be this easy?" I sigh heavily.

We didn't even need to communicate with each other; it felt like we all knew what the other was thinking, and it worked out just fine.

Just before we can take a moment to catch our breaths, the other two behind shooting at us. So much for peace and quiet.

"I don't think Xana knows the definition of easy!" Odd pulls Ulrich and I down behind a park bench, shooting at the Tarantulas.

"Odd? Do you think you can cover us as we try and take them out." Even though he's wearing a mask, I can tell he's grinning from ear to ear.

"One Sharpshooter, coming right up!"

Odd shoots up from the ground and starts recklessly shooting at the monsters.

Ulrich flips into the air and lands on the back of the Tarantula. The one beside it tries shooting at him but only ends up lending a helping hand. He doesn't waste time ramming the javelin into its head.

While the Tarantula was busy firing at Ulrich, I took this chance and smashed my pipe into its head. It roars in retaliation and swings its arm at my side, flinging me at a tree as if I was some ragdoll. It stands up on its hind legs and fires at me. Most of them missed, but one managed to hit my leg.

"Selena! What have I told you about playing rough!?" Odd aims and finishes off the mechanical monster standing before me. "Next time, learn to be a little nicer!"

"You alright?" Ulrich extends his hand.

"Other than the seething pain on my ankle?" I take it without hesitation, and he lifts me off the ground and onto my feet. I wince at the sudden pressure but try my best to ignore it. "Yeah, I think I'm good."

"Whoohoo! Nice, work, guys!" Odd cheers, pulling the three of us in for a hug. "You gonna be okay, (Y/n)?"

"No, I think my foot might fall off. . ." Odds waste no time into pulling me into a tight hug. I laugh, ignoring the pain in my ribs and hug him back. "Don't worry, dork. I'm just kidding."

He sighs heavily and puts a hand over his heart. "Not funny! I almost had a heart attack, ya' know?"

"But you didn't, did you?" He groans and throws his arms in the air as a sign of defeat.

"Come on, you guys. We still have to-"

"(Y/n)!"

My vision blurs, and I'm knocked to the ground. A surprise attack, huh? My head is pounding, and I can't think straight. There's a tear in my mask, I'm breathing in the gas little by little. There's shouting all around me, but I can't seem to make any of the words out.

I think. . . I'll close my eyes for a second.

{Edited 2/11/20}

{1260 Words}