10

Odd's Pov:

"Come on, you guys. We still have to-"

A laser smacks (Y/n) on the back of her head. She stumbles over her feet before crashing to the ground.

"(Y/n)!"

Despite the stupidly massive amount of Hornets emerging out of the fog, I rush over to her side without hesitation. A laser beam manages to slam into my arm, knocking my rail gun right out of my hands. I scream at the painful sensation though I try to ignore it as I take a deep breath and remove my mask, immediately replacing hers with mine. 

"Odd!" I whip my head around and spot Ulrich smashing his pipe into a Hornet. He lets out a staggered breath before pointing to a building darkened by the fog. "Head to the convenience store!"

"Got it!"

It's a bit difficult sprinting to the store while carrying someone with an injured arm while holding my breath, but it's nothing I can't handle! (Y/n) almost slips out of my grasp a few times as I'm trying to dodge everything the Hornets are throwing at me.

The second we're inside, Ulrich slams the doors shut and knocks over a shelf, barricading the door. I eagerly gasp for air as I race to the front counter and shove everything to the floor before laying (Y/n) down. Her hair's matted with so much blood, it's a bit hard to look at. I bite my sleeve and pull it up to use it to wipe some of it out of her eyes.

"What happened to your mask?" Ulrich rushes over. "You good? Did you breathe in any gas?"

"Yeah, no, I'm fine good buddy!" I laugh reassuringly, attempting to hide the cough in lodged my throat. "Yep, totally fine!"

"Uh-huh, just don't die on me." He tosses my a roll of bandage wraps and gauze. "How's she doing?"

"Well, I'm no doctor, but other than the off chance of having a concussion, I think she's doing fine!" Ulrich narrows his eyes. He can't tell that I'm stupidly worried, right? Maybe I should try smiling a bit bigger?

"Uh-huh." He rolls his eyes. "Do you have your phone on you? I think I dropped mine out in the abyss."

"Uh," I pat down my pockets and let out a small laugh. "Nope! Guess it's not our lucky day, huh?"

Ulrich groans and reaches for (Y/n). Without really thinking, I stepped in front of him. "W-What do you think you're doing? You can't just touch a lady while she out cold!"

"Odd, now is not the time to start finally acting like a gentleman!" He reaches around me in another attempt, and my hand subconsciously slaps it out of the way. And there I realized I made one of the biggest mistakes in my life, pissing Ulrich off. I can almost feel the intensity of his glare. "Fine! Why don't you check to see if she has a phone then!"

Whoops! I uh. . . wow. Okay, so, I will admit, my stupidity surprises even me sometimes. Why was it that that was the first thing to come to mind? It's only Ulrich! He's a serious, idiotic mess who knows some dumb fancy fighting style.

I carefully check her pockets without doing anything too unnecessary and pull out an iPhone. "She isn't rich, is she?" I hand over the phone with a grin as I think of a pretty awesome idea. "Oh! I bet she has magical powers! It would explain a lot about her."

"I'd like to deal with one crazy thing at a time. I don't need any more stress than I have." He presses the button, and the screen lights up, showing the date and time. Wow, it's already two in the morning? Time does fly when you're fighting for your life!

Swiping right on the screen triggers the emergency call menu to pop up. "I mean, we're in an emergency, right? So, uh, do you know Jeremie's number?"