Chapter 20

Chapter 20

(Lizzie's P.O.V)

It had been a week since I stayed the night with Ricky. Ever since then, everything seemed so tense. No one talked during lunch, Ricky seemed distant from Kelly, and I kept my distance from James.

Nothing seemed the same.

Although I had practically avoided James the whole week, I still packed an overnight bag and waited for him outside my apartment. He had gone out of his way to get these tickets for me and I wasn’t about to let Tyrone ruin that for me.

The air was surprisingly chilly for California. Of course me being me, I forgot to grab a sweater

or jacket. So now here I stood practically freezing my ass off waiting for James who said that he was about a minute away.

It wasn't like I could go back inside either. I’d still rather not see my dads face.

Soon enough James pulled up in that familiar jet black truck and I got even giddier than I was before.

The minute I hopped into his truck and gave him a greeting I could feel the warmth envelop me. I sighed in bliss as we drove off, causing James to glance at me.

“What was that for?” He chuckled and turned his eyes back on the road.

“I was freezing my ass off out there.” “You didn’t bring a Jacket?” He asked.

“I had just stepped out like a minute ago.” I lied. What was one little white lie gonna do?

“You are lying so bad.” I gaped at him. How dare he say I am lying. Even though I completely am.

“How dare you say that sir.” I gasped, only making James shake his head with a smile. “Grab my sweatshirt from the back seat you goof

Butterflies erupted in my stomach when he said that.

As much as I hated the feeling of butterflies, I couldn’t help but love them when he was the cause.

Giving a small smile, I climbed over the armrest so I could look for the sweatshirt. I was having trouble finding it, so I called out: “I don’t see it.”

“It might be on the ground.” He suggested and I rolled my eyes.

“This better not be a trick so you can get a good look at my ass.” I joked but I never expected him to actually respond.

“I don’t think I need to. I’ve seen it enough. And then some.” I nearly choked when he referred to the party when we had kind of gotten carried away with dancing. Looking down on the ground, I spotted the gray sweatshirt and quickly grabbed it.

I sat back down in my seat and buckled up, setting the sweatshirt in my lap. There was one last chuckle before James turned on the radio and we were off onto the interstate.