Taught the consequences of stealing

Desdemona POV

Once daddy was inside the trailer, Jerome turned to me and frowned. "Great. Just what on earth am I supposed to do with you?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Me nu know."

"Well, we can't sit around here all day I have chores to do. How about I take you to see the animals. I have to clean their cages anyway." Jerome muttered.

"Well come on, let's go I don't have all day you know." I reached for Jerome to pick me up and he rolled his eyes at me. "You've got to be kidding me. I am not going to carry you, and I'm certainly not going to hold your hand the entire way. So keep up." With that, Jerome was off unfortunately, he walked too fast and I soon lost him.

"Jewome? Jewome?"

Sitting down in the middle of the circus I began to cry. I didn't know where Jerome was and I had no idea how to get back to where daddy was located. "Are you alright little one?" A sweet voice asked me and I looked up to see a  very pretty young girl about a year younger then Jerome. "My name is Quinn what's yours?"

"Desdemona."

"Desdemona? That's an unusual name. If I remember correctly it means of the devil, ill-fated one and misery. And it's a name of a Shakespearean character. (For those unfamiliar with the story, Desdemona is pure and virtuous woman who in a drunken rage is brutally murdered by her husband because he believes she is cheating on him. Which turns out to be untrue.)

"Well Desdemona, what's a sweet little girl like you doing out here in the middle of the circus by yourself?" Quinn asked in concern.

I sniffled trying to hold back the tears that threatens to fall. "Me was supposed to stay wifth me cousin. Him was going to take me to see de animals but Me got lost."

"Sweetheart, what's your cousin's name?"

"Jewome." At this Quinn frowned how could Jerome be so irresponsible?

"Your Zachary's little girl?" I nodded and again the pretty lady frowned. "Desdemona, Zachary doesn't hurt you does he?" Quinn asked in concern.

"Huwt me?" I asked in confusion.

"Does he hit you?"

"Only when me desewbes to be punished..."

I could tell this answer bothered her but she remained silent taking my hand and leading me to where Jerome was located.

Jerome POV

Upon reaching the animal cages, I turned around and then cursed when I realized that my cousin was not behind me. "Great this is just great! I told her to keep up. Now she's gone and gotten herself lost. My Uncle is going to kill me." I muttered angrily to myself as I backtracked trying to locate where she had fallen behind.

"Did you loose someone?" Quinn asked with a smile as my cousin timidly peeked from behind her.

"There you are." I said irritatedly grabbing my cousin's arm. "I thought I told you to keep up. You are lucky that Quinn found you and not someone else. Come on, don't start that. Your a big girl now and big girls don't cry." I scolded my "cousin".

At this, Quinn shook her head and smacked Me upside the head causing Desdemona to giggle.

"Ouch! What was that for?" I asked rubbing the back of my head.

"You can be such an idiot sometimes you know that? You shouldn't have told her that." With that Quinn knelt down to my level and smiled at me. "Don't listen to him, it's ok to cry." I sighed and rolled his eyes in irritation.