naia's baby

THUESDAY, March 19th
Waiting for my friends to accompany me at my table in the small cafe, I watch as many cars are passing by the windows next to me. The intensity at this time of the day is really something else, I'm very happy that our work's close enough to walk from or else we would've been out of food for our break.

It feels surreal to even think that I'm actually working here in Toronto. Just months ago, I was doing my usual shifts at the restaurant back in Montreal, waiting for my life to start off for real.

It was really a coincidence that I even got the offer as a fashion designer over here. My previous teacher just happened to mention me to one of her old friends and here I am. I honestly couldn't be more thankful.

"Stunning view, eh?"

I meet Cole's grinning eyes as he sits down in front of me, closely followed by Naia. Glancing back to the streets beside us for a few seconds, I smile a little. "I like it, actually. It's new."

"Yeah, an entire street away from work," Naia says ironically, earning a low laugh from Cole. "So fascinating!"

Rolling my eyes as they both laugh loudly, I finally take the first bite of my sandwich.

I came her in February, settling down in my apartment and getting to know the city before getting to work. My first week as a fashion designer actually started this week and I've been spending it with Naia, following her everywhere to get in the routines.

I'm convinced that I was lucky to get her as my 'mentor', or whatever you call it. She's extremely talented and as she's my age, I've automatically hanged out with her in our spare time as well. Cole's a friend of hers and he works just in the building across from ours, creating the chance for us to spend our lunch breaks together.

I found out yesterday that me and Cole lives in the same area. He was quick to give me his phone number, insisting on giving me a ride to work as he finds it unnecessary for me to take the buss. It was very nice of him, though he apparently was a little too quick in writing his phone number and I ended up texting someone else.

"Did I tell you about my new costumer anyway?" Naia's voice pulls me back into the reality.

"You've got a new one already?" Cole asks, finishing his sandwich while neither me nor Naia are halfway yet.

"I do," she sighs, getting reminded of her food as Cole impatiently nudges her shoulder. "He's really getting on my nerves, you have no idea."

"That's rare," Cole mumbles ironically, earning a cold stare as I bite my lip to keep my amusement on the inside.

"I'm serious!" Naia says. "He wants a suit, but all of his suggestions suck! Like seriously, a green suit?"

She groans as me and Cole exchange amused looks. While she keeps talking about her new costumer, with Cole leaving mocking comments as often as he dares to, I grab my phone from the table.

It's 11:40 AM, and there's half an hour left on our break.

Answering some texts from family and friend's back in Montreal, my eyes are soon locked on a new message from the unknown guy I accidentally texted yesterday.

_________________________
416 *** **** >
Today, 10:58 AM

How are u?

_________________________

I won't lie, his text surprises me a little. I really didn't expect him to write to me again, as that's not what strangers normally do in situations like this. He really don't have any reasons to contact me ever again, but I guess that there's something nice in the fact that he have.