anna

FRIDAY, April 26th
Slowly opening my eyes and letting them adjust to the lightening for a second, it takes a while for me to recognize where I am. Though the answer soon comes to me in form of a small picture of Logan and Camila placed in a bookshelf right across from the bed.

Sighing deeply, I try to remove the pressure from my chest that has been obvious ever since I woke up. Maybe it's because I know that I'm not in the hospital right now in case anything happens. Maybe I'm just exhausted after these past two days being spent there, not getting any rest at all until now.

When I came to Montreal on Wednesday night, I went straight to the hospital. All I was told that night was that my father's condition was critical. My mother, Logan and Camila were there, but no one really said anything after that. Not that I can remember, anyway.

We just sat in the waiting room, someone going home to take care of Ava and getting a few hours rest occasionally. My time was today, mostly since I'd fought against them every time they'd told me to go home before, but was so exhausted that I couldn't do so anymore.

The home screen of my phone shows me that it's 2 PM. It also tells me, in form of a message sent by Camila an hour ago, that Ava's asleep in the room next door. I've got a lot of other notifications as well, mostly missed calls from Naia and the others. Not a single one from William.

I get up from bed once my eyes start watering up, trying to distract myself from having another breakdown.

Logan's and Mila's flat is newly renovated, a lot of moving boxes down the hallway making it obvious that they moved in recently. This is their second apartment, despite both of them being only 23 years old.

Once I reach the living room, my original plan to stare out of the windows changes quickly. On the table across from the black sofa, there's a paper laying. It's painted in watercolors, and I can't help but smile a bit as I grab it in my hands.

'To Ellie, from Ava. 190424'

My brother's handwriting is easy to recognize, and the words are written under a black mass which I guess is how Ava spelled it. The painting itself is, like her writing, just made of a few circles here and there. I still feel so much emotions just by looking at it.

When I saw her paint this a few days ago, I was on the airplane on my way to Boston. I couldn't wait to see her and the others. I couldn't wait for William to meet them all. My dad was doing fine, my relationship with Willy was as good as ever, and it hurts to know that I didn't appreciate what I had more.

03:20 PM
"What about this one? Does she have a name?"

I take one of Ava's dolls in my hand, patting its blonde hair before she tugs it from me. "Anna," she smiles, glancing proudly up at me.

"Anna?" I repeat, feeling the need to always double check every time she says anything due to her obscure way of speaking. "Like Anna from Frozen?"

Her eyes sparkle of happiness by hearing the movie name.

She's only one and a half years old but still knows every single Disney character I can come up with. All of her dolls are named after different princesses, some even have middle- and surnames.

"Beeping!" she suddenly bursts out, making me notice my ringtone. "Beeping, beeping.."

She continues to imitate the noise as I move her from my lap and onto the bed instead. Quickly grabbing my phone from the table, I spot my brother's name from the screen. I make sure to press the speaker button right after answering the call.

"Hi," I start, putting the phone down to the sheets. "Are you good?"

"All good," Logan says, catching his daughter's attention immediately.

"Daddy!" she lets go of whatever she was doing before, moving closer to where the sound came from. "Go away, daddy! Ava and Ellie playing."

I smile at my niece's cuteness, hearing my brother laugh from the other line. "I'm sorry, buddy. I'll be quick, promise."

His voice dies out, something that makes me frown a little. Turning the speaker off, I press the phone to my ear instead. "So.. what is it?"

He stays quiet, only his breath making it clear that he hasn't hung up. Ava starts pulling in my shirt, trying to get my attention back to the dolls. I smile as she carefully gives me one of her brown haired princesses, together with some clothing that obviously wasn't good enough for her own.

"He's awake, Elle."

Freezing in my place, it's like everything goes blurry. Everything, except for what he just said, and for what his next words will be.

"We can see him, love. It's alright now."