babysitter

THURSDAY, May 2nd
A few gentle knocks is what awakens me. I'm mainly confused as I look over to my door, where Logan is resting against the doorframe.

"It's 1 PM," he states, making me sigh and fall back into the bed again. "Yeah, that was my reaction as well when Ava woke me up at 6 AM. Life's hard, isn't it."

"Go," I mumble, snuggling back into my pillow as I feel him sitting down at the end of the bed.

I haven't slept this well for a very long time, and I wouldn't mind another night to start right now.

"So," my brother starts again, closing the door. "There's this Swedish guy sleeping on the floor in the hallway."

I can't help but smile where I lay under the covers. I won't lie and say that William wasn't the first thing that crossed my mind this morning, though I wasn't sure if it all had been a dream or not.

"I know that you talked yesterday," Logan continues. "So, should I kick his ass or leave him alone? He's been sleeping on the floor all night, but is still in the apartment, so the message is not very clear."

I laugh at his brother-like way of asking me how it went, pulling the covers away from my head to meet his eyes. "It went.." I start, trying to sum it all up in one adjective. "..good, I think."

As I meet his gaze, there's a pleased expression on his face. "So.. no beating up today?"

I laugh after hearing his question. "No!"

Logan raises his hands up in defense. If I had enough energy, I'd definitely hit him. Though the only threatening thing I do is fluffing my pillow before placing my head back to it.

"You're the one who called him?" I ask lowly, closing my eyes while waiting for his answer.

"Yeah."

Furrowing my brows, I stare at the wall. "What did you say?"

I can basically feel my brother shrug in his usual nonchalant way. "Not much," he says. "Just that he's an asshole, and that you need him."

I smile, pleased with his answer as I dig my chin into the white covers.

"I didn't really think he'd show up," Logan catches my attention again. "He sounded kinda busy over phone.. But then, he stood outside of the building in the heavy rain, begging for me to let him in. I did, after an hour or so."

I laugh a little at his last comment, feeling thankful for having him. "Thank you, Loggie."

02:20 PM
"Noooo! No no, down down down!"

I hear laughter from the living room as I exit the bathroom after a long shower. My niece's light giggles are having company by another voice.

"Not until agree with me! Ziggy is a princess."

My chest gets warmer at the sight of William holding Ava in his arms. She's looking at him as he's keeping a serious expression.

"Ziggy no princess," she giggles, putting her small hand on his face without any intentions at all and forcing William to close his eyes for a second.

William picks the little teddy bear up with his free hand, showing it to Ava. "Look at him," he says, I smile at his gentle way of speaking to her. "Ziggy's sad now. See?"

I rest my side to the doorframe, enjoying the time I'll have to watch before someone spots me.

"Ziggy no sad, silly!" Ava snatches the bear from his hand as she brings it to her embrace. "Happy-happy."

William smiles as he watches the kid hug her stuffed animal with passion. He turns his head and immediately spots me by the doorframe. His eyes sparkle a little extra as he bites his lower lip, still smiling lightly. "Hey."

This emotion comes to me that I recognize from childhood. I remember feeling it every single time that my crush looked my way, and I always thought that I was about to throw up. It basically feels like rush of energy, scary and magnificent all at the same time.

"Ellie!"

The girl in William's arms makes us both jump. Her smile is enormous as she stares at me, her arms up in the air in a sign for me to take her.

"Hi baby," I smile as I walk to them. "Daddy left you here?"

From the second that I've placed her on my hip, I'm not even half as interesting anymore. Ava starts to talk to Ziggy and I look up at William instead.

"You never told me that you're in the babysitting business."

He smirks at my statement, scratching his neck. "Your brother went to work, so I thought that I could hang out with her until you came. She's very sweet."

I smile, looking down at the little girl. "She's the best," I say. "Thank you."

Looking back up, my eyes stuck to the boy in front if me. He's wearing a dark blue Leafs snapback, still you can see the dirt blonde hair easily. He's got a barely visible stubble beard that I've found myself liking more for each day, and his eyes are just as magical as I remember them to be.

This is weird, I won't lie. Normally, we'd be all over each other, though now it feels like an invisible wall is separating us. I know that this is good for me, to appreciate the small and simple instead of rushing into powerful feelings too quickly.

I've felt so much this past week, and trust me, the feelings I get just by looking at William are overwhelming. For now, that's enough. For now, I don't think that my heart can handle more.

"I thought we could take her to the park today," William suddenly says, glancing down at Ava who's started to get kinda tired in my arms.

Her green eyes are closed as she has snuggled her head to my collarbones. "That sounds good," I say. "Right Ava? You could bring one of your princesses if you'd like."

She hugs the bear in her arms, not even bothering to look up as she mumbles: "Mkay, Ziggy come."