safe and sound

09:30 PM
I gently open my eyes after a good nap, the safe sound from a tv in the background. I fell asleep in the sofa while waiting for William to come back from calling the Maple Leafs.

As I realize that I'm now pretty much laying on top of his sleeping body, a smile is gently being built on my face. I listen to his heartbeat, and how it's so peacefully connected to his breathing. It's incredibly reassuring to know that he's okay, to hear that nothing's causing his heart to beat faster.

Logan and Camila are at a friend's. They once again asked us to watch Ava, which isn't the hardest task since she's asleep and hopefully will be until tomorrow morning.

They were lucky enough to get a baby girl who values her sleep over everything else, only waking up to loud noises or nightmares. I just wait for their second child and for them to realize how spoiled they really are in having Ava.

William starts moving beneath me, his much lighter breathing revealing that he's no longer asleep. I softly caress his bare chest with my thumb, waiting a minute to speak to let him wake up properly first.

"What did they say?"

My question makes him shift slightly. I bring myself up to rest on my elbows beside his head, trying to make him see that I care about his answer. He presses his lips together as he takes the opportunity to observe my face as it's very close to his.

"It doesn't matter," he finally shrugs it off, bringing a hand up to place it on my waist.

I furrow my eyebrows, "But it does, do they want you to come back?"

He moves his gaze to look at the ceiling above my head, his actions making it obvious that his hockey club wants him back.

"I'm not getting back until all of this is over," he finally says. "I'm not leaving here until I know that you can come with me, and right now, you can't."

I want to keep on arguing, tell him that he should leave without me, but I know that he's made the choice already. I do think that it's so sweet of him to care about me like this, but I also know how important his career is and I just don't want him to make any stupid decisions.

"Do you want to move to the bed instead?" he asks me, bringing his free hand to move a hair from my face. "You seem tired."

A frown builds on my face as my gaze slowly unfocus. It takes a while for me to come up with a response, or maybe rather an explanation.

"We could move the covers here instead?" I ask, feeling slightly embarrassed already. "My dad always complains about the beds at the hospital.. And therefore we came up with this idea that every time he'd sleep in one of those, we could sleep on the couches."

William's gaze softens. Listening intently, he makes it natural for me to continue.

"This way, he would know that we're just as uncomfortable as him. Logan and mom quit after a few nights, but I've tried to sleep on the couch on every night that he's been there."

I've decided not to tell anyone about this, I didn't think that I'd ever have to. It's silly and nothing to share with anyone else other than family, but I guess William's starting to become a part of mine now.

I watch him go through lots of thoughts. Finally, his blue eyes meet mine. They're soft and curious as he opens his mouth: "So every time that I've seen you crash in the sofas back in Toronto, that has been the reason?"

There's some kind of warmth that fills my chest as I hear that he's actually payed enough attention to what I've been doing.

"You've noticed?" I ask, a smile growing on my lips.

"Of course."

The warm feeling just grows bigger when I look at him, his sparkling blue eyes that often causes chills down my body. He's perfect. I bring my hand up, gently tracing my index finger from his jaw to cheek, and finally to his hair.

He never moves or flinches, but simply watches me. As my gaze finally land in his eyes again, they're gentle and warm. Welcoming, healing, fascinating and enchanting, even.