the night i lost

09:35 PM
It's been about thirty minutes since the game ended here in Boston, and it's just as silent in our suite still. There's not much to say more than the obvious; they lost.

For once, I appreciate the fact that the goals up to Boston were many. They were never really close to a win, which made the ending much less brutal. Still, I heard Steph cry quietly from her seat as we watched the seconds disappear.

We all turn around as the door open, seeing Mitch walking into our suite with the saddest look I've ever seen him wear.

"Aw, baby.." Steph stands up, holding her arms out as he walks straight into her embrace.

It's actually heartbreaking to see him like this, it's such a contrast to that playful and happy Mitch that I'm used to. I have honestly no idea of how to stay calm once Willy will be coming in, wearing the exact same look.

"You did your best," I hear Steph tell her boyfriend as he lets her go, walking up to me instead.

"Thank you for being here," he embraces me for a short hug. "I appreciate it, I know that Willy does too. He really needs you in times like this."

I smile at Mitch, trying to keep it that way as I look into his devastated blue eyes. "You did really good out there, Mitchy. There's lots of years to come."

He nods, smiling swiftly even though I'm sure that all of these encouraging words sounds the same to him by now. He gives Naia a hug as well, thanking her for being here. My phone starts ringing just as they end the hug.

Looking at the caller ID, my brother's name is written across the screen. I smile towards the others before making my way out of the suite. Just to make sure that Willy's not on his way, I shoot a last concerned look across the corridor before finding an empty room and closing the door behind me.

"Hi Logan," I say after answering the call, walking over towards the windows and staring at the blank ice rink.

I hear a little rustling from the other side of the line, and it hasn't ended once a female voice is heard. "Elle, you need to come here."

It's like a wave of adrenaline passes me as the panic in Camila's voice reaches my ear. I hear mumbling somewhere around her, it comes from Logan. I also hear a groaning sound, revealing that they're in their car.

"Sweetie, are you there?" My brother's girlfriend tries again, her voice a little softer this time.

As I bite my bottom lip, the saltiness makes me understand that I've been crying this entire time. "Where's dad?" My voice cracks and as Camila doesn't answer me immediately, I almost scream the question out again.

"Elle, is there anyone near you?" This time, I hear my brother's voice. "William, or Naia.. anyone?"

I feel like throwing my phone against the wall, mostly because they're not responding to my questions but also since I'm not sure if I can handle hearing it once they do.

"Dad's at the hosp," Logan states the obvious, still pushing my heart to sink even lower. "They want us to be there with him, so you need to take the nearest flight here. Mila's buying you tickets right now, okay?"

Staring blankly at the arena ahead of me, it's like every single feeling that was filling my body before just disappears. Instead of feeling everything, I feel nothing.

"She's buying you two tickets," Logan continues through my phone. "We know that William was meant to come with you this weekend, so bring him too, okay? I don't want you to be alone, not mom either."