•Muffled Secrets•

I used my room key to enter my hotel room, feeling conflicted about the kiss. We met yesterday... was I moving thing too fast?

My thoughts were interrupted when someone knocked on my door. I opened it to find my mother, who pushed herself in. She sat in the plushy armchair in the corner and smiled.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I'm just checking in. How was your day in New York?" She said kindly. I smiled at her warmth and settled down across from her.

"Well... I met a boy."

My mothers face brightened and she said lowly, "Ce-ce-le-ah! Tell me all about him."

I smiled in spite of myself. "He's amazing. He's got these striking green eyes and an amazing jawline..." I sunk into my seat. "He's so nice and funny. He's super charismatic and I just feel attracted to him."

"Whats his name?"

"Aidan. Aidan Gallagher." I sat up. "He's actually the boy we saw on the street yesterday!"

My mothers face changed. "The famous one?"

"Yeah!"

"Is it serious?"

"Well I don't know... we spent the day together, we kissed-"

My mother stood up and began shaking, "No! I forbid you to see him."

"The hell I will mom! What's the matter with you?"

"I-it's-" She said, searching for an answer.

Suddenly my father burst in, saying, "What's the commotion."

My mother pointed at me and said, "She's seeing some famous boy! They kissed!" She stepped closer to him and hissed, "We can't have her going public. It will ruin us."

Her words spun in my head. "What the hell are you talking about?"

My father whispered something in my mothers ear. Her face resumed its usually composure and she nodded.

"Cecelia, you can see this boy as long as you know there is no feasible way to continue the relationship. You don't live here, and long distance is ridiculous." My father said sternly.

My head spun. I hadn't thought about that. I covered my eyes, tears welling up. I gestured for my parents to leave, and they complied.

What was I doing? He told me he lived in California... I live in North Dakota. It was over before it started.

A few tears slipped out of the corner of my eye. A sudden buzz from my pocket snapped me aware. Aidan had texted me. It broke my heart to open it.

"Hey Cecelia, I had a shitload of fun today. Want to hang tomorrow?"

I typed, "I'm seeing the Statue of Liberty but I think I'm free after that. Want to meet at the sorbet place?"

A few moments later he said, "Cool. See you then <3."

My heart melted for this boy, this angel. But why didn't my parents want me to see him?

I tip-toed to the wall and pressed my ear against the wallpaper. The walls were thick and the sound was weak, but I made out a few words.

"If they find out... Arthur it will destroy.... lives at risk!"

"...harmless... a quick fling... dna test? ... technically illegal, who says we knew?"

"Yes, true...adoption!... black market... innocent."

I backed away from the wall, trying to piece together the information I heard. The words adoption, illegal, and black market swam around in my head. I wasn't adopted though, there are pictures of me in the hospital. And my parents doing anything illegal? Impossible. They couldn't even run a red light.

I brushed my teeth and changed into my nightgown, trying to settle down.
As I snuggled under the covers, I wondered if it would have been better if I never eavesdropped at all.

My alarm went off at 7:30. I rolled out of bed and dragged myself to the bathroom.

I cringed at the sight of myself. My short blond hair was ratted and knotty, my bangs sticking straight up. I examined my eyes though, and found that I had a new confidence in them.

I had never been too concerned for my appearance before. Sure I cursed the hump in my nose and the size of my feet. And I enjoyed wearing clothes that hugged my figure (when there wasn't much there to hug). But at the anticipation of seeing Aidan I decided to look nice.

I picked out my only push-up bra. My mother recently decided I had outgrown my 32 A's and thar I needed a whole new set of 32 B's. I wore a black shirt that clung loosely to my skin and camouflage sweatpants that accented my butt. I felt embarrassed of my desire to be desired, but I had my first kiss last night and I didn't want to look disappointing.

Last night. The conversation between my parents made me feel sick. I tried to put it from my mind as I finished getting ready.

My parents made no mention of the night before, and neither did I.

On the way over I received a notification that stevenmist0967 liked my post. I opened Instagram DMed him, "Thanks for the like lmao"

I immediately received, "Hehe no problem. Whatchu doin?"

"Sitting in a cab. I have a wild story to tell you later."

"Oh right, Statue of Liberty. And I can't wait ;)"

I closed my phone as we stepped out of the cab. We arrived at the ferry exactly two hours before the time of our tour, just like the website said. We took the fifteen minute boat ride and stood in front of the copper giant.

I stared in awe and took a picture to send to Aidan.

The morning rushed by. The tour was a bit boring and my legs burned after a few flights of stairs. All I could think about was Aidan or my parents, so I chose Aidan.

Before I knew it we were in a cab ride home. I put in my earbuds and put on Netflix, ready to play that show Umbrella Academy Aidan suggested. The moment I realized he was in it I shut off my phone and giggled.

My parents and I parted the moment we got back to the hotel. My phone buzzed and I saw Aidan texted me.

"What time are we meeting?"

I looked at the clock. "How's three?" I said, giving myself fifteen minutes to get ready and thirty to arrive.

"Sounds good."

"See you then!"