•Two Unenjoyable Conversations•

I lay in bed, unable to fall asleep. The day ran through my mind, and I realized that it may have been the best day of my life.

It had been hours since our pool date. I sat on my bed and watched Umbrella Academy until about one in the morning. Now it was 4:30 and I haven't slept a wink.

I was pulled out of my daydream my a buzzing on my phone. I grabbed it from the nightstand and saw Aidan was calling.

"What's up?" I said groggily.

"Leah, Leah oh my god!" He said quickly.

"What's up? Is everything ok-"

"It's more than ok. It's amazing."

"So tell me!"

"Ok ok," he took a deep breath. "Tony emailed the video of you singing to me right? It was really good. So I made you a YouTube channel and posted it there."

"And...?"

"AND YOU WENT VIRAL!"

I kicked my feet with excitement. "Holy shit, Aidan this is amazing!"

"That's what I've been saying-"

"How many views?"

"One million. And three hundred thousand likes."

I lost my breath. "I-it's-"

"Unbelievable, right?"

"I'm going to go tell my parents. If they know I have a chance of making it, maybe they'll let me pursue music!"

"Ok, go on." He said gently. "Congratulations."

"Thank you." I whispered.

I hung up and squealed. I threw my pillow in the air and jumped out of bed.

To my surprise my parents were awake. My mother answered the door and invited me in.

"Ok... guys don't freak out." I started.

"What? Is everything ok?" Asked my dad.

"I went viral on YouTube!"

My mother stood up. "Cecelia Connors what the fuck did you just say?"

"I went viral?"

She was fuming. "No. No! What did I say? You need to delete that right now."

I looked hopelessly at my father who nodded. "No way mom! That's ridiculous. I have talent! I can make it!"

"Not unless you want to ruin our family!" Screeched my mother. "Delete the video now!"

I felt tears fight their way out of my eyes. I ran, ran out of the door and into the hall. I fumbled for my phone and I called Aidan. He picked up immediately.

I was sobbing. "Meet me at the restaurant by Gino's as soon as you can."

"Ok Leah." He said, not pushing. "Of course."

I decided not to take a cab so Aidan would be there before me. I was ugly crying in my pajamas, The November chill making me shiver. I hate my parents. I thought. The moment I find a talent they squash it. I attached at the restaurant looking disheveled. Aidan took one look at me and grabbed my hand.

I was dragged to the hotel he was staying at a few blocks up. He gave me a towel and shoved me in the shower, never saying a single word.

I was eternally grateful for his silent understanding. I stood in the shower and let the hot water pound my back, working away my tension. I washed my hair with the hotel shampoo and my body with the bar soap before stepping out of the water. I put my hair in the towel and examined myself in the mirror. My face was red and splotchy. I saw Aidan had slipped my clothes under the door. I put them on and left the bathroom shyly.

I was embarrassed of the scene I'd made. Aidan looked up from his phone with worry in his green eyes and I gave him a small smile.

"What happened?" He finally asked.

I recounted the experience for him, explaining how my parents seemed genuinely scared by the news. "It's almost like they don't want me to be noticed."

"It's exactly like they don't want you to be noticed. What I want to know is why."

"Yeah." I looked down at my pajamas. "Maybe we could get me some clothes first?"

He laughed and nodded. "Here, I have a sweatshirt you can borrow." He pulled out a dark green hoodie and I slipped it on quickly.

We walked outside hand in hand. We turned towards the elevator when the door next to Aidan's clicked open.

An older couple the same age as my parents stepped out and gave Aidan a surprised look.

He looked mortified. Through gritted teeth, he said, "Hi, mom. Hi dad." I stared in shock at his parents, hoping they didn't make assumptions.

"I didn't know you had another girl over." Said his mom slowly.

He hit his palm to his forehead and sighed. "It's not what you think. Please don't make this weird."

His father chuckled and winked. "Have fun you two. But Aidan let me know next time ok? You know you can't be too careful."

Aidan squeezed my hand and we turned around, walking quickly to the elevator.

Once the doors closed Aidan groaned. "That was awful!" He said, half laughing.

I was holding in my giggles. I can't imagine if that happened to me. "Do they think we... we..."

He squeezed his eyes shut and nodded. I doubled over laughing. "Rest In piece, Aidan. Rest in Piece."

The elevator dinged and we stepped out. "There's an Urban Outfitters a few blocks down. Want to check that out?" I nodded.

We walked and chatted, talking about nothing in particular. I kept thinking about the encounter with his parents, the way they reacted when they saw me.

"Do you have girls over often?"

Aidan turned red and averted his eyes. "No. That's a dumb question."

I pulled my hand away from his and gave him a funny look. "It's not that dumb considering your parents reactions." He said nothing. "I don't want to be just another hoe your seeing Aidan!"

He stopped and looked at me. "I don't know how low you think of me to think I go around sleeping with every fan I meet."

"That's not what I meant."

"Even so, it's not true. And plus, who's the one who made all the moves in this relationship so far?" I thought back. I've kissed him first every time. "Plus, I'm sixteen. I've only brought one other girl my parents didn't know about home and nothing happened. So no, your not just another 'hoe' I'm seeing. Ok?"

My face burned with embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

His face turned soft and he said, "You don't need to be."

I squeezed his hand and we walked the rest of the way in silence.