XVI

Adoption. Adoption? Adoption. Adop-

I hear a soft tap on my door. I was sitting in the farthest corner of the apartment, my legs folded together, trying to prevent myself from not going crazy.

"Rosie, can you let me in?" 

"Hang on..." Emotionless and almost not in my own body, I picked myself off the floor and let whoever may be there in. 

Before the door could close, I made my way to the other side of my bed and sat on the edge, so that my back was facing who I just let in. It was very rude to do that to a guest and I have been taught better, but I could care less right now. 

"I-uh- noticed you ain't been around for a couple of days and wanted to make sure you weren't dead or something."

I slowly turned my head around to see the black haired guy who seemed to be the only one on my side. 

"I'm fine, Dallas.." I began chewing my fingernails. A nervous habit of mine.

Dally made his way to my side of the bed and kneeled down in front of me. He took his hand and placed it under my chin so that I could meet him eye to eye.

"Rosie..."

I bit my lip to prevent it quivering, but I couldn't help the prickling of tears start to fill the brim of my eyes.

"Go get some extra clothes." I looked in confusion at Dally. 

"Just trust me." His hateful tone covered his concern.

I got off the bed and packed some basic clothes I wear around the apartment and fresh undergarments. 

Once I was finished, Dally looped his arm under mine and helped me walk to his apartment.

When we walked in there, I noticed it was a lot cleaner then when I last left it. His bed was made, his clothes were folded, and the trash was off his floor. 

Dallas escorted me to his bed and sat me down. 

"Stay here. Do not go anywhere or else." His eyes became dark and I knew better than disobey him. 

My eyes followed him as he grabbed a basin and filled it with water before heading downstairs and leaving me alone again. 

My mind was slowly coming back, being in a new surrounding seemed to have perked my interest a bit. I wonder what Dally had lying around here?

I lifted myself up and began searching his room for anything interesting. I made my way over to his desk and searched his papers. Nothing.

His clothes drawer? Nothing.

His bathroom cabinet? Nothing.

His bedside table? Bingo.

I noticed a small book of pictures. The front of it had these words, written in cursive.

"My boy, you do not need to read to know that pictures are beautiful.  Lois."

Lois. I wonder if that is his mother?

I flipped the page over and began looking through the pictures to see a different looking Dallas. He looked a few years younger and his hair was grown out. 

There were pictures of him smoking, group pictures of the guys, and baby pictures. Lois, who I presume is his mother, is holding him in several pictures. 

Now I see where his high cheekbones come from. 

Almost to the end of the photo book, I can hear Dally's feet plop up the stairs. 

Hurriedly, I stuff the book back in the bedside table and sit back down where I was at when he left. 

Dallas opens the door and carries the basin to the bathroom. I can hear him pouring the water into the tub before motioning me to come to the bathroom.

"Take a bath. The towels are in the cabinet. Your life is not about just you anymore." Dally eyed my stomach before closing the door, almost like he was frustrated.

I huffed, offended by him implying that I wasn't taking care of myself or my child.. but I had been abusive to my body for the past few days. Never would I admit that to him, since I am so proud.

Nevertheless, I undressed and submerged my body and problems into the warm, warm water.

+++++

Coming out of the bathroom 45 minutes later, I seen Dallas was on the bed waiting for me.

I walk over to the bed but stop in my tracks when Dally starts to talk.

"I gave you no permission to look in that drawer, Rosie."

My eyes widened and I slowly made my way to the edge of his bed.

"I was just curious, that's all. I didn't mean to intrude. I just wanted to know a little more about you."

Dally rolled his eyes and huffed. He paused for a moment then hit his right thigh, which made me scared.

"The only way I'll tell you who Lois is... Is if you tell me who he is."

"Deal."