XVIII

Once we got Two-Bit in the truck, the ride to the Curtis's was silent. I could feel the tension thicken like molasses.

Dallas had to of been upset that Two-Bit stumbled upon us at the park.

Every turn was sharp and every speed limit sign was ignored. It seemed like Dal wanted him out of his presence and Buck's truck as soon as possible.

"Please.. be easy." I asked Dallas, feeling my stomach started to ache.

"What, so you can make sure lover boy doesn't get awakened?" Dal huffed under his breath.

I spoke up.

"No, my stomach is starting to get upset. I don't think Buck would appreciate it if I returned his truck with my vomit in it." My eyes rolled and I let out an exhausted grunt. 

A short time later, we pulled up to the Curtis's and Dally put the car in park. He turned his head to me and we made eye contact before he started to speak.

"Look, Rosie.. I didn't mean-"

"Can you help him out of the car, Dal?" 

Dallas stopped whatever apology he was going to recite to me, and got out of the truck with the slam of the door. Yes, Dally and I are finally in a good spot right now as far as speaking terms go, but I won't just easily forgive him for being a jerk. 

Plus, I didn't have enough room on my plate to deal with our relationship at this very moment. I had a half-conscious man laying in my lap, crushing my legs. 

Dally opened my car door and slung Two over his shoulder as he did before. I followed close behind and let him ring the Curtis's doorbell. Sodapop came to the door.

"Again?" He asked. 

"Yeah, Can all three of us come in?"

"Three?" Sodapop peaked his head around Dally and his eyes went big when he realized Dally was talking about me. 

"Umm.. Yeah I guess you all can come in." 

Soda held the door open, as I followed close behind Dal. It was rowdy inside the house, so I knew all of the guys were there. 

Dally laid Two-Bit on the same couch he did when both him and I watched him that strange night.

The insults.

The dirty dishwater fight.

The glances..

I sat down beside Two and wiped the hair that was matted to his face from sweat. Two looked so peaceful, but I knew he was in an emotional warfare on the inside. 

And it was all my fault.

"Rosie?" Ponyboy was standing in the kitchen, surprised I was here.

"Yeah.." I muttered, wanting to sink into my seat.

All the boys ran into the kitchen and looked at me with shocked expressions. I hated being looked at so I stood up from the couch.

"Well now that I know that Two will be taken care of, I must get going."

I tried going towards the door, but a strong hand grabbed my forearm just as I went to open it.

"Please stay. For Two?"

Darry's callused hand scratched against my skin, causing me to think about how exhausted he must've been from working so much.

He had no time to take care of Two. It was already night time and no doubt Dar had worked all day, as well as the rest of the boys.

"I'll stay. You guys go to bed, you must be tired."

Darry nodded his head and rounded the boys up to go to bed. Johnny caught a ride from Steve, then Pony and Soda went to their rooms. Darry and Dally stayed behind.

Darry made his way towards me and bent down in my ear.

"We can talk more tomorrow. Goodnight."

He made his way towards his room, which now only left me, Dally, and a still knocked out Two-Bit.

I went to the kitchen to grab a cold washcloth to put up against Two's burning forehead. This episode was much different from the last. I was actually starting to worry. 

Rinsing the washcloth under the sink, I heard Dally's footstep come behind me and round the table. The scratch of a chair against the wooden floor confirmed that he was sitting at the kitchen table. 

I was glad that he done that because I was upset with him getting jealous in the truck. I don't think my pregnancy hormones could handle a sullen Dallas Winston, sitting in the living room, watching me take care of Two.

I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with iced water for when Two comes back. I wonder what runs through his mind when he gets like this?

Sitting down next to him, the beads of sweat were gathering fervently. I wiped his forehead several times, trying to cool his face.

Being so close to his face, I realized things I hadn't seen before. The wrinkles in his forehead above his eyebrows. His smile lines. His sunken eyes, surrounded by purple bags.  

"Two.. You really scare me." 

+++++

After taking care of Two-Bit all night, I could see the sun start to rise through the window. Hopefully, Two would wake up soon. 

"Rosie? You're still here?" Darry walked out from his room and whispered. 

"Yeah, he hasn't woke up yet. He stopped sweating hours ago, so I bet he is just sleeping now."

"Did you get any sleep?"

"No, not last night. I told you guys I would watch over him." I said, barely giving Dar a grin. 

"Rosie, you need to go back and sleep. I'll-" 

"No." I said in a stern, hushed voice.

"It's my fault he's like this. All of it is my fault."

"No, it's not. Two-Bit put the bottle to his own lips, not you. We can't blame you for something that happened before you even knew us."

I knew Darry was talking about my baby. Would he still view me the same if I told him it's a Soc's baby?

"Hey Dar, are you working today?" I asked. 

"No, not today. A roofer can't work in the rain." 

"Well, when Two-Bit and all the boys wake up.. I have some explaining to do."

+++++

Double update? Thought I could surprise you all. Thanks for following this 4 year story. Loves to all. 

S.G.