Chapter 12

“I was only I4, and Chan was a year younger than me. We grew up as best friends, and promised to be there for each other. No matter when, no matter where.” Minghao began with a small smile on his face, sitting on the bed where Chan and Junhui sat as well.

“It was winter, and this winter is far from yours. It rains bullets of ice, avalanches are common, and the weather is devastating. We were always told to stay inside, but we decided to stay out all on our own”

“Hansol, shouldn’t we be back at the palace? Father and Mother would be furious if they found out” Minghao worriedly taps his brother on the shoulder.

“Don’t worry so much hyung, we’ll be back before sunset. Besides, we have these rings” The royals always had a special ring bestowed upon them, since the day they were born. The King and Queen bestowed Minghao as the Prince with the Ring of Fire, and Hansol as the Prince with the Ring of Ice.  But, Hansol still hasn’t figured out how his ring, or powers with the ring work.

The sun started to set, while the two boys continued basking in the heavy snow, now surrounded by hundreds of trees, not noticing how far they’ve gone from the palace. Hansol, happened to stray away from Minghao while waving his new found stick around, pretending to slay enemies as a winter warrior.

Troubled, Minghao searches for his younger sibling. Only when he was about to remove his coat, which kept his young and developing wings from the cold, he remembered what his parents had told them, to never expose their wings in the winter cold.

Hansol however, in utter panic and fear, forgot about the warnings. He only wanted to find his brother and go back home. He removes his coat and spreads his wings, the cold winter winds starting to get much stronger. He flies upwards, trying to see through the heavy falling of snow.

Minghao, kept calling his brother’s name out. His powers from the ring giving him warmth, he gathers dead leaves and twigs to form a campfire. Using his powers of fire, he lights the wood and leaves up. Hoping that his brother can see the dark smoke.

Hansol flew through the trees, finding a streak of smoke and immediately following it. His smile begins to grow until his wings couldn’t move so well any longer. They felt cold, and icy. He finally sees Minghao, both of them making eye contact, he looks back at his own pair of wings, and his eyes widened at the sight of his precious wings all frozen. He was about to land in front of Minghao, until his wings cracked and broke into a million pieces of ice shards.

He screams, screams of fear and pain. He crashes into the snow, Minghao rushing to his aid with his coat already removed. He covers Hansol’s back, unable to bear looking at his bleeding back for so long. He carries Hansol close to the fire, settling him in his arms before using his own feathered wings to cover the latter.

He closed his eyes and focused on his ring, warmth started to spread across his body. His wings emitting enough warmth in a matter of seconds, he nuzzles his forehead on Hansol’s own. Eyes full of worry and regret, tears threatening to fall from his eyes any moment. But he decided that it wasn’t the time to cry, he knew what was best.

His feet left the ground and he soared through the sky, his instincts stronger than ever, they needed to go home. Minghao went straight for the castle once spotted, immediately knocking on the main door, the guards looked at them in shock.

Once inside, the King and Queen were worried sick. Their eyes went dull and lifeless, tears falling down their cheeks nonstop. Hansol’s wound from his wings were still open, they still had chance.

Minghao had once seen a book about their kind, and the ability to re attach severed limbs. His eyes sparkled, taking a guard’s spear and pointing it at his own back. His parents stared in horror, their own son attempting to cut off his own wings.

“They didn’t understand why, that’s why I have to show them” Minghao thought. And with one swift move, he was on the floor, blood dripping from his back, but so were his wings. It was painful but he only had such little time.

He picked his severed wings and ran, he jumped on top of Hansol’s bed, rolling him on his stomach and attaching them on his back. It was only a moment until they looked like any other natural born wings. Minghao managed a smile, until everything faded to black.

He woke up in a room, not of his own. Something ached on his back, and it was heavy, but he didn’t know why. Hansol entered the room, a big frown and tears on his face.

“Hyung, how could you? Why? Why did you give your wings to someone worthless like me?” He yelled, hitting his brother on the chest repeatedly. Minghao cupped his face nuzzled his forehead on Hansol’s . “Because you’re my brother, and you mean the world to me” he smiled, earning more tears from the younger.

“What happened next?” Chan, who was now crying, asked with his hand covering his mouth.

Minghao stood up and removes his last garment on his torso, he fully stretches his wings and turned around, his back facing the two.

“This happened” Minghao chuckled, revealing big stitches and scars on his back. Junhui observed from his back to the edges of the wings before him, noticing the burned, and ripped parts of it. He couldn’t believe how they never noticed, how extremely torn apart Minghao’s wings were. They gaped at the sight, unimaginable shrieks of pain and endless screaming ringing in their ears.

“My body didn’t take it well, the wings of a demon”